Chapter 24: School nurse

(Present)

I made my way into the for-once quiet school for my second week of teaching.
The call I had received from Ayato definitely made me more aware of who was around me.
Never mind that, my whole family knew I was alive and that isn't good.
I watched students walking past me and bowing their heads as I did. The small heels of my flats clicked on the wooden planks that covered the ground beneath.

The corridors were flocking with students and I knew I had to move faster if I was going to get to my classroom in one piece.
On the way there, I bumped into Laito who smiled and took my hand to kiss it lightly.
"Morning flower" he showed off his white fangs which gleamed in the ceiling lights.
I grinned at my brother and gave him a light hug.
"Morning laito" I smirked, which made his smile widen.

We accompanied each other while strolling into my large and buzzing classroom, students sitting on desks instead of chairs as they chatted and laughed.

In a matter of seconds, I set down my books and some students looked at me. I pressed my finger against my lips and winked, signalling them to keep quiet. The students passed the message on and pushed the people next to them to sit down and behave.
As everyone started to settle down, I smiled and bowed my head.
"Thank you, class" I spoke in a soft and gentle voice. Students smiled back at me and listened to what u said with no exception.
"In today's lesson we'll be starting our first topic on the industrial revolution, If someone were kind enough to hand out these textbooks, I'd be very grateful" I chuckled, lifting up a massive pile of thick textbooks which made my muscles ache a bit as I raised them to the students.
Fortunately, two boys stood up from their seats and offered to hand the books out. I smiled widely and split the pile in half, giving each to the boys.
As I handed the second pile of textbooks to the second boy, I stopped dead in my tracks and gasped quietly. The boy who stood in front of me looked dangerously familiar and I felt very unsure. I handed him the textbooks and used a facade to make sure I didn't look cold.
I slowly sat back down in my seat and looked over to my brother who sat in a seat in the middle of the class. His eyes were blank but when they looked up into mine, he nodded and looked over to the boy I had passed the books on to.
The red-haired boy looked back at me and closed his eyes, which made me do the same.

'That's him' Laito s voice mumbled in my mind, instantly making me open my eyes and look straight towards the other boy.
'It can't be' I felt emotionally confused at this state, my hands were shaking and I felt like a lump was in my throat.
I stood up from my desk and instantly ran towards the door, feeling like i was going to throw up any second now.

"Excuse me students" I said before running down the hallway and to the bathroom.
As I entered, a few female students were skipping class. But as soon as they saw me, the instantly ran up to me to see if I was okay.
At this moment, I don't know what came over me. I hadn't been sick like that in such a long time, and I hadn't felt as nervous as that before.
I choked on my own words and flushed the toilet, pulling down the toilet seat to then sit on it. The girls who comforted me gave me some tissues, whereas one of them ran out to get help.

"Miss! Your mouths bleeding!" One of the girls told me. I quickly ran past her quickly to check on my mouth; and to my devastation, it was my gums from where my bottom fangs were suppose to be. My gums were bleeding uncontrollably and I didn't know how to stop it.
"Miss, take a seat, help's coming soon" a girl rubbed my shoulder in sympathy and showed me a smile of comfort. I smiled back at her and used a tissue to wipe my bloody mouth.
The nauseous feeling still lurked in my stomach and I didn't want to leave the bathroom stall I was in. I felt like if I did, I'd be sick again if I did.
Soon, we all heard running footsteps echo outside of the bathroom. When the footsteps reached outside of the door, it was slammed open and the girl returned with the school nurse by her side.

The nurse was a young looking man with long blonde hair that went past his shoulders. He wore a knee length white lab coat which held a few pens in its breast pocket. The man wore thick black glasses that rested on the centre of his nose.
His skin was pale, almost paler than mine but when I looked at his hands, they were covered with white cotton gloves.
He walked over to me and placed a decent-sized back down on the ground. I was guessing it had medicine and stuff to clean me up with.
I wiped the side if my mouth and spat some of the excess blood into the tissue I was holding, making some of the female students look away to stop them from gagging. I don't blame them, blood makes me queasy as well so I understand. (but it's rather strange for me to cringe at the thought of blood since it's my food supply most of the time).

Snapping out of my thoughts, I sat up briefly to fit the tissue under the toilet seat so I could flush it away.
The nurse took out a couple of towels and ice packs so I could use them to calm down my temperature.
While I was cleaning my face with the fresh, and nice smelling towel, he tapped my shoulder lightly and smiled.
"Do you mind if I tie your hair back? I wouldn't want your hair to be ruined" he spoke, instantly making me sigh in relief and nod.
Thankfully, nothing was caught in my hair and it seemed to be still straight and smooth.

I turned around slightly so the man could carefully tie my hair back, but as soon as his hands touched the back of my head, a massive amount of deja vu hit me like a rock.

(300 years ago)

"Daddy! Daddy! Subaru messed up my hair!" I cried at my father who sat next to the tree across from the patio in the garden. Father always came here when he needed to think and have some time to himself. But when I arrived he seemed to be happy.
"Well that isn't very nice! Come here princess" he chuckled and patted the spot next to him on the grass. I smiled widely and almost fell into the spot with how fast I had ran into it.
Luckily, father was quick enough to catch me in time, scooping me up in his arms to kiss my cheek lovingly. I squealed and giggled as he set me on his lap and kissed the top of my head.
"Now, lets see what I can do" he smiled and combed a hand through my messy hair which made me flinch. Father wasn't pleased with his messy my hair was, but I could tell Subaru was gonna get in trouble even if I told father not to confront him.
Father carefully ran his fingers through my hair until it was nice and tidy.
He collected all the loose strands of my hair and was in the middle of tying it into a neat and tidy ponytail. I'm the distance, I could see Subaru walking towards us then, but he had something behind his back and he was obviously hiding it from me.
As father tightened the grip of the band wrapped around my hair, he looked up and said nothing.

"Hey Eve, I'm really sorry I.. I didn't mean to upset you like that" my bother sighed and looked at the ground in guilt. I stood up from the ground and tacked Subaru into a tight yet warm embrace.
"I forgive you! But don't worry, daddy fixed my hair for me" my smile gleamed in the sun light and Subaru smiled.
"Well, do you think I could add an accessory to it?" He smiled and took a red rose out from behind his back. I smiled widely and hugged him again.
"I'd love that" I said.