Chapter 36: Shu Sakamaki

I rapidly ran out of my seat and slammed open the classroom door, running down the hall to see what was going on.
The smell of blood hit me like a slap across the face and before I knew it, I was covering my mouth and nose to resist the urge of bloodlust.
"Ngh... Hello?! Is anyone there?!" I yelled out, walking further until I walked into the next corridor. A scream of help echoed down the other hallway and I ran further and further until I hit yet another corner.

This time, the next hallway wasn't empty. A dark figure was standing in the middle with a girl pressed against him, out cold. I took one whiff of the air and I immediately recognised yui's scent.
Damnit
My eyebrows furrowed and a sneer escaped my throat. The amount of times this girl has caught herself tangled in a dangerous situation is beyond me.
I started to quickly walk up to the figure and catch a better glimpse of what the darkness was hiding. A tall blonde male with blue eyes and pale skin came into the light and he wore an expression as cold as the weather outside. I stopped dead in my tracks and gave him the dirtiest look I could.
I knew Yui was behind him.
The scent of her blood stunk the entire hallway and I had the urge to cover my nose again.
"Alright..." I mumbled to myself quietly, inching closer and closer to the talk, threatening male who glowered just at the sight of me.
"Yui?!" I yelled, making a gasp appear from behind the male.
"Eve? Eve! Help me-!"
"Be quiet you" a deep booming voice left the mans throat which made me snap out of my thoughts. I looked back to his face and chewed the inside of my cheek, trying to think of a way to surpass him without getting in any sticky situations.
"Hey buddy, mind giving me back my friend?" I puffed out my chest and clenched my fists, not daring to break eye contact with him as Yui trembled while watching.
"No..." he sighed, his hand coming up to cover his mouth as he yawned out in boredom.
My blood boiled with rage in my veins and I tried to compress it by biting my tongue.
"Listen, I dont wanna cause any trouble, but if you don't give me the girl I'll have to pass this onto the principal" I raised my hand and made a 'come here' motion for Yui to see.
She hesitated, her face covered in fear as tears glistened in her eyes and her mouth was kept shut.
She shook her head, I could feel how she was feeling and I closed my eyes for just a moment, transporting slightly more positive emotions into her mind so she could calm down a bit.
She was verging on hyperventilating and I didn't want to scare her any further.
"As if I care, what business do you have with her, Katsuki?"
He knew my name. How did he know my name? Maybe he was in one of my classes and I didn't know? No... surely I would've noticed as soon as he stepped in my class.

"She's a close friend of mine and one of my higher level students, and I certainly wouldn't want anything bad happening to her. So please, give her over to me" I took one last step forward until he took one as well, his body towering over mine as soon as he was face to face with me.
"I'll give you her... if you tell me how the hell you're alive"
My eyes widened as I looked up and stared right into his gleaming, ocean blue eyes.
"W-what do you mea-"
"You know exactly what I mean, Eve" The mans expression changed. He wasn't upset... but, rather disappointed.
I stared cluelessly at the man in front of me. I felt kind of bad for not recognising him but I tried my hardest to.
"I'm sorry, but I don't remember you" I mumbled awkwardly, shuffling my feet and looking behind his shoulder at Yui.
The blonde was waving her hands the entire time and once she caught my attention, she used her index finger to point at the man and whisper-
"It's Shu...!" Yui used a hand to cover the side of her mouth so her words would travel further.
I caught every word she said I she felt my heart drop to the floor. God, how could I have been so oblivious to my own brother! My oldest brother as well!
My eyes soon welled up in tears and I bit down on my finger.
"I-... Shu I'm sorry" I whispered sadly, watching his expression change once more. This time it was sadness, the kind of sadness that would be seen on a grieving human after they realised their love one died.
Shu took another step closer to me and wrapped his large arms around my shoulders, pushing my head into his chest and pressing his lips on my head.

Shu kept his eyes squeezed shut as he placed a hand on the back of my head and held it tightly. I was flabbergasted, I couldn't even move. I'd never been so awkward about something in my life.
How did I not even recognise him...?
I felt my tears stream down my face and drop of my jaw and chin. I soon returned the hug and wrapped my arms around his torso, sniffing and closing my eyes.
Yui smiled at the both of us and sneakily fled the scene, running down the hall and probably to her next class.
"I'm sorry, I- I ran away..."
"I know you did, I found you because of Edgar" my eyes opened at the mentioning of... Edgar's name. I hadn't mentioned it since the night of his death and it brought much more tears to my eyes.
"And don't apologise, I know what happened" he mumbled in my hair, his arms tightening and his eyes opening once more.
"H-how do you know?"
"I can read your mind, remember?"
"Oh yeah, hehe..." I chuckled softly.
Shu let out a sigh and leaned back.
"For a whole 6 months I thought you were dead, but when I found out you were alive because of the orphans, I didn't tell a soul. That's probably why all our other brothers are so... sappy when they see you again" he smiled to himself and looked at me with joy.
I smiled back to him and felt comfortable at last, returning to his chest and listening to him talk.
"But I am glad you're back... I've missed my sister" he kissed my hair and held me for what seemed like hours.

The two siblings shared a sweet, quiet moment of reunion and talked to each other about what had happened and the things eve had gone through. Shu wasn't surprised she had killed the entirety of the orphanage. He, as the next vampire king, knew that every vampire has a stage where they need to hunt, kill, and feed. But Eve hadn't done any of that for an entire year and lived off what the orphans ate.

But, he was right with one thing. He was glad his sister came back to him and his family. And he swore on his life, that night, that he'd never let her go again.

Ever.