Chapter 38: Reiji

(Present)

"Ruki..." I jolted up form my dream and found that my nails were digging deep into my desk.
I cussed at the sudden pain and removed my nails from the desk, leaving small yet noticeable starch marks on the wooden table.

"You okay?" Shu woke up next to me, his arm around my shoulder and his eyes meeting mine. I sighed in relief, thankful my brother was here and he was able to calm me down.
"Uh- yeah I'm... I'm fine" I mumbled.
"Are you sure? A lot was going on in that head of yours" he chuckled and removed his hand from my back, making me frown and sit up.
"It's hard to explain-"
"I have all day, little one" he smirked.
"I am not little Shu Sakamaki!!" I screeched and hit his shoulder, remembering all the times he used to call me that when we were younger.
Shu heftily laughed, crows feet appearing at the corners at the end of his eyes as his cheeks rose up.
I went in a huff and crossed my arms, leaning them on the desk and not daring to look at him.
Once Shu stopped laughing, his teasing tone was still there as he spoke.
"I'm only kidding, but anyway, what is it you were gonna say?" He spike lazily, closing his meyes once more and putting his hands behind his head as he relaxed.

I looked down at the desk, seeing the dents I made whilst I was sleeping and pursed my lips.
"You know I can trust you right?" I whispered, looking over at him with hopeful eyes and waiting for his answer.
Shu leaned his head up and raised his eyebrow, cocking his head to the side as if I was crazy.
"Im your brother, of course you can trust me" he rolled his eyes before closing them once more.

"Well... you know how Edgar and I had a few friends back in the orphanage?" My voice broke once and I cursed myself because of it.
Shu hummed softly as a response which made me sigh and roll my eyes slightly.
"Well, did he tell you about ru-"
"Ruki? Yeah he did, I also know because I read your mind as a way of watching over you and making sure you were okay, but all you ever thought about was him" a hoarse chuckle left his lips and he still kept his eyes closed.
I was dumbfounded for about 10 seconds before snapping jack into reality.
"W-wait I have a question" I spluttered out, twiddling my thumbs and rocking back and fourth in my chair. My hair fell slightly over my eye and I tried my best to tuck it back behind my ear.
"You do realise I can simply hear what's going on inside your mind and answer the question?" He had an amused smirk on his face which made me flush pink with embarrassment.
"Well, yes I do, but isn't socialising better?"
"Pfft, Hell no, I'd rather stab a wooden steak in my chest than see the day where I hold a conversation with someone for over an hour" his words made me laugh a lot louder than I expected and he too chuckled. We shared a moment of hilarity and I rested a hand on my chest.
"You've got a point, but anyway, when I reunited with Ayato and Laito I was told Ruki was... still alive?" The last few words made me shiver out of fear and Shu felt it too.
He sat up abruptly, fixing his yellow school sweater and yawning out of, probably, boredom.
"To answer your question, yes he is still alive, and he knows about us being your siblings. Let's just say... he didn't have a very good reaction to that" Shu chuckled darkly, his eyes narrowing and staring off into space while I was trying to figure out what he meant.
"Okay... that answers what I've been wanting to know. But Shu... what do you mean his reaction wasn't very good?" My words came out clearer than I thought and I took my arms off the desk and turned to face him, my eyes scanning over his facial expression so I could try and read what he was feeling.
"Well, he was constantly asking us where you were but we couldn't answer, the rest didn't know why he knew you but I decided not to tell them" my throat went dry at his words.

"He- he asked about my location? Why didn't he come looking for me?" I stood up and began to slowly pace around the dark and empty classroom.
I traced my fingertips over students desks before pulling out a chair and sitting down on it roughly.
"Oh he did alright, he searched far and wide for you but he threw a fit every time he was unsuccessful. Him and his little minions" He said in annoyance and I pondered for a moment, thinking about the last sentence before a small light bulb appeared in my head.