Chapter 26: Bracelet

I blinked a couple of times, feeling my eyelashes dampen with the tears that soon filled my eyes.
My sight became blurry and my bottom lip quivered with unsureness. My hands began to shake and so did my arms.

Is that who I think it is...?

I sniffed and cleared my throat. I stared at the boy in front of me and felt my chest become tight.

I kept quiet and watched as he inspected me skeptically. His nose scrunched up in some sort of puzzlement.
"I knew there was a new teacher but I never new... she's a vampire" he leaned back and looked down on me. I widened my eyes and purses my lips nervously, feeling my palms become sweaty and the saliva in my mouth dry up.
I didn't know what to say. For the first time in my life, I was actually out of words to say.
No comeback, no reply, and no insult.

Nothing.

My throat swelled up, making it hard for me to swallow as my tongue became numb.
Yui, who was standing behind the boy, stared at me in confusion, her eyes asking a thousand questions as she watched me silently.
"Well, cat got your tongue?" He asked, raising a single eyebrow as he awaited my response.
I gulped, clenching my hands and refusing to break eye contact.
"Do I know you?" I finally spoke, my voice barely trembling as the words slipped from my mouth.
The boy huffed, crossing his arms and narrowing his eyes.
"No" he answered bluntly, frowning aggressively and watching my every move.

"What's your name?" I asked quietly, whispering each word enough for only him to hear. The boy hesitated, his emotions switching from nervous to confusion every few seconds.
His eyes didn't dare blink, and they didn't tear apart from mine.
"Why should I tell you?" The boy hissed and showed off his pearl coloured fangs.
"Because I'm asking you, and I expect you to answer" I clenched my jaw and leaned closer to the boy just to intimidate him.

He snorted in disgust and screwed his nose up as he did. His arms soon became crossed and he was now standing taller than he was a moment ago. He was at least a foot above me, his chin just going past the top of my head as we stood.

This was bothering me. I did know him, but I can't seem to click with who he is. His scent, his appearance, even his attitude, it's confusing-

Wait
It finally hit me.
Hair as bright as the snow, eyes just like a glass of red wine, skin pale and unhealthy looking, bad temper, rude mannerism, and the bracelet...
The bracelet.

(Flashback)

It was Thursday. I was sitting in my class drawing and doodling as the teacher spoke horrendously boring words that i couldn't care less about. Subaru was sitting next to me as we shared the same opinion about the teachers awful lesson. We were both drawing shapes and writing notes to each other which we sometimes chuckled at.
The school Subaru and I were placed in was a human school. I hated it here. There was no other people we could talk to since it was a rule our father made. We can't make any contact with a human specimen or look, touch, and feed off them. It was undeniably boring. More boring than this stupid lesson.
As the bell rang, all of the students walked out before us. Some laughing and pointing towards me but never my brother.
I didn't care. They can talk all they want about me, they're just jealous.

I shook out of my thoughts when Subaru tugged in my hand which was clasped in his. I looked up to meet his eyes which were gleaming in the daylight.
"I need to get out of here Eve, I can't handle their scents anymore" he looked scared, vulnerable even. His hands shaking violently and his eyes creating beads of tears that soon crept down his flushed cheeks. I was quick to act, dragging my twin by his wrist and running as fast as I could to the closest exit. There wasn't a single teacher in sight as we raced towards the back entrance which lead to the forest nearby our house.

As soon as we got there, I placed my hands on Subaru's wet cheeks and shook him softly. His eyes were drenched with tears, his terrified expression not leaving his face as he sniffed and sobbed. Every time he tried to speak, he stumbled over his words and choked over more tears.
"Subaru..." I felt myself tearing up, my vision becoming blurry as I watched my brother cry in fear.
This only happens rarely. In fathers own words, it shouldn't happen at all since he's at an age where he should control his thirst around other human beings. But Subaru and I have the same issue. He struggles massively around living, breathing people. Making it almost impossible to go to school with him. But we need to go, if we don't go we'll face an awful punishment.

Subaru continued to cry in my arms as I rocked him back and fourth. This is the only thing that makes me crack.
If anything happens to my brothers, mostly Subaru, that's enough to get me upset to the point I mentally crumble.
I ran my fingers through the white locks attached to his scalp as he quietened down to a point where he was still whining but no more tears.
He leaned up, sniffing and rubbing his red nose and puffy eyes which were gleaming with unshed tears. The first thing I did was envelop him in a heartwarming hug, my arms wrapping around his waist as I held his head. He burst into tears again when I did that, his breathing heavy and his arms secured tightly around my small form.
I hushed his whimpers and sobs with care, rocking him like a minute ago, but when I realised it wouldn't work I started to sing a soft melody to him.
As soon as he heard my voice, his cries died down, replaced with silence as the side of his face was against my shoulder. I smiled to myself and closed my eyes before kissing his head.
"Lets go home" I said softly, standing up slowly and offering a hand to help him up. The young boy gladly accepted my help and grabbed my hand, hoisting himself up so he stood up straight without falling.
We both regarded each other before linking arms and walking into the lonely woods that lay ahead of us.

There was a sound that entered my ears, a soft rattling sound which made me look down to our wrists to see the bracelets we made as kids. The metal attached to the leather made contact and chimed calmly every time we took a step. I smiled at our matching bracelets and looked up to see only green.

But, it all ended when there was the snapping of a large-sounding twig which made both Subaru and I's's heads snap in its direction.
"Who's there" it wasn't a question, it was more of a demand. There was a footstep, but a very quiet one. Like an animal footstep.
Both Subaru and I departed into defenders mode as we intensely watched the tree from where the footsteps came from. There were more, more than one pair of footsteps.
I started to get nervous, looking over to Subaru he saw that I was uneasy and smiled at me in reassurance.
As we looked back to the tree, I jumped back from shock at what I saw.

Two incredible large wolves

I gasped at the sight and took a few steps back, stumbling over a stump and falling as I did. Subaru didn't bother helping me up, instead he stood in front of me incase the wolves attached me at the sudden movement.
But they just watched us. They did blink, but they kept still.
I decided to stand up and slowly creep towards them. But both of them growled at what i was attempting to do.
"Eve! Don't go near them!" Subaru shouted at me, grabbing my wrist and pulling me back from the fearsome looking wolves. Their growling stopped as I walked away from them, realising it was only a danger going up to the intimidating creature.
As Subaru tugged me away from them, their eyes caught my attention, the glare swept on their faces said enough about me.
But they weren't normal wolves. There was something about them that wasn't right, that wasn't what a normal solve would look or act like.

They aren't wolves...