Prologue

PROLOGUE 

            “I’ve been patient with you because I thought this was what you wanted. I wasn’t the one that went to you and asked for your help. I was perfectly fine and happy without you,” I said. Daniel was looking at me with fear in his eyes, as if he thought I was going to yell at him. Even with our classmates staring at us I couldn’t find it in me to be angry. I was that hurt and embarrassed was too weak of a word to describe the magnitude of humiliation I was feeling.

            “We made a bet,” he said pointing to the four idiots in a circular motion that followed him everywhere. “I was to seduce you and force you out of the closet.”

            That’s funny, considering just yesterday I had you on your hands and knees in my bedroom begging me to fuck you harder.  He knew exactly what I was thinking. It was written all over his face. “So, none of it was real?” I asked like the idiot I was.

            “Nope. Like I said. I was to seduce you and make you fall in love with me, then I was to tell you that I wanted to show you off and let everyone know you were mine and the only way to do that was if you came out of the closet.”

            “Do you realize how pathetic you are?” I asked him. More than anything else you’re weak.

            “I’m pathetic? You were the one more than willing to open your legs to the first guy that showed some interest in you.”

            “That may be true,” I answered back. “But remember, when I got so turned on and told you I wanted to fuck you, you were more than willing to get on your hands and knees, let me shove your head into my pillow and fuck you until you were stupid...and you loved it. So remind me again who’s ‘a big fucking faggot’?”  I asked, repeating the words he had shouted in the cafeteria seconds after we walked in holding hands. That was supposed to be our big coming out to show that we were a couple.

            I didn’t wait to see everyone’s reaction. I stormed out of the cafeteria, racing against the bell so that I could reach the door before it rang and the doors locked. I would have to hide out in school until the next period.

            The bell rang and I jumped the stairs two at a time. There was a girl holding the door for her friend. I didn’t know her but I was glad she did. I left school and went to the park to call a cab. It was freezing but that was the least of my worries. 

            I’m such an idiot. Even after he embarrassed me in front of everyone I still feel bad about what I said. The cab came and he didn’t ask any questions when I got in and I was thankful for that. The last thing I wanted to do was talk.

            When I got home the house was empty as it should be. Dad was at work and my little brother was in school. I hope he was having a great day. The tears started flowing the second I took the first step on the stairs. By the time I got to my room I was bawling. Suddenly my life was like a sick high school chick flick drama.

            Daniel had no fucking idea what he did to me. Three fucking months I spent on him and I trusted him. I fell in love with him. Daniel was the first person that wasn’t family that I felt emotionally connected to and he broke me.

            When I got to my room all I could see was what happened in here yesterday and the days before when we messed around. He cared about his reputation in school more than he cared about me to just admit what he felt and that was the worse part of it, to know that I didn’t matter enough, if at all.

            I dropped my bag on my desk and curled up in my blankets, sobbing like an idiot. I’m glad they were fresh sheets and fresh pillows and fresh everything because the scent of him would drive me crazy insane.

            “I hate you. I hate you.” My cries were weak and pathetic.

            I don’t know how long I had been crying for but all of a sudden I heard the front door slam and then someone was running up the stairs. I knew it was my dad but I didn’t have the strength to hide my vulnerability from him right now. I needed him now more than ever.

            “Maxwell?” He called. He didn’t wait for me to answer before he barged into my room. When I saw him I jumped from my bed and ran into his arms and cried like a baby. He was my dad after all and he was allowed to see me like this.

            We stood there for a long time and I let it all out. Eventually he walked me to my bed and we sat down. He never took his arms from around me.

            “I’m so stupid,” I whispered to him.

            “Don’t say that,” he whispered in my hair.  “Tell me what happened.”

            I told him. I told him how I fell in love with someone and how I thought that person was in love with me but that person just wanted someone to be the new joke for their friends. That’s also how I came out to my father.

            “Do you want to move away?” He asked me. I nodded.