chapter twenty nine

Izzy's POV

My heart shattered into a million pieces. I finally was to the point where I was happy, and it had to be taken away from me. I loved him so much, and now he was sick. Ponyboy started to cry, which made me cry.

"I'm very sorry. You can visit him if you would like. Room 403." The nurse said.

I went up the elevator with Darry and Ponyboy in silence. I didn't want to say anything.

I found Soda's room and walked in. He tried to smile but I could tell he was sad. I went and sat next to him.

"I love you so much." I said, crying again.

"I love you more." Soda said, kissing my forehead.

Pony and Darry came over and gave him hugs and we all just sat there and cried for a good hour.

"I'm gonna go get the gang. Ponyboy, how about you come with me." Darry said, and they got up and left.

"You can't leave me. Not now. Not ever. I love you so much, Sodapop Patrick Curtis. You will survive. I don't give a shit what the survival rate of this is. You will survive." I said, bawling my eyes out.

"I love you, Izzy. I'm not going anywhere." Soda said.

"How long has it been hurting? I know it didn't just start."

"Maybe a month."

"Soda, you should have told me."

"I know, but I thought it was nothing. It just got a lot worse after the rumble. Someone must've done something to it." Soda said.

I grabbed his hand and we stayed like that for awhile. Me, just holding his hand trying not to cry, while he just stared at me and tried to calm me down.

The gang walked in after a half hour. All of them were crying. I'd never seen Dallas Winston cry up until now.

They all grabbed chairs and pulled them toward Soda. I kept holding his hand.

"You're not going to die." Steve said. He was crying the hardest. I felt horrible. Him and Soda had been best buddies forever.

"I'm not going anywhere." Soda said.

The guys and I stayed all day. Eventually, visiting hours stopped and they forced us to leave. I tried my hardest to stay, and they ended up having to get security to escort me out because I refused to leave.

"I'm going to visit you everyday after school." I said, before the security guard shoved me out of the room.

I kept my word. For the next month, I went to the hospital everyday to see Soda.

Soda hadn't gotten worse, but he hadn't gotten better either.

The gang wasn't the same without him. Everyone was sad all the time. We would try to have fun, but it just felt different. At least we had Two-bit. He could always lighten the mood by cracking some jokes, and I was so thankful for him.

Somehow, in spite of all the sadness, we had all grown closer. We all got to see each other's true colors, instead of putting up a wall to keep our reputation in check. Especially Dallas.

One morning, we had the day off from school, so I went to see Soda first thing. I drove over to the hospital and walked into his room.

"Morning." He said.

"Good morning." I said, smiling at him.

"No school today?" Soda asked.

"Nope. Called it off for some reason, not sure why. How do you feel?"

"I've felt better." He said. He'd looked better too. He looked very pale.

"Do you want me to get a nurse?

"No, I'm fine." He said.

I walked over and told him about my morning. He told me about his. We did this every time. As sad as it sounds, it was a routine.

I sat down next to him and laid my head on his chest. We both drifted off.

I woke up to a beeping sound. I looked over and Soda's heart monitor was going crazy.

Soda was awake and he looked terrified. I jumped out and ran out the room to get a nurse.

"Nurse! My boyfriend's beeping thing is going insane!" I yelled. I couldn't remember what it was called, I was too scared.

Multiple nurses rushed into the room and I followed them.

"Miss, you can't be in here!" One of them yelled.

"I'm not going anywhere!" I screamed.

Soda's heart rate was rapidly going down.

29

24

17

11

5                                                                                                                                                       

0

He flatlined. His eyes shut. He wasn't panicking anymore, he was just laying there. I was crying uncontrollably, screaming at the doctor's to help him. I couldn't take it. I couldn't watch them just sit there and not help him. I was crying so hard I couldn't breathe.

---

I woke up in a hospital bed. How did I get here? I looked around and Dallas was in the corner with his head in his hands.

"Dallas?" I whispered.

"Izzy?" He said, looking up at me. "Oh my God, you're alive. Those doctors are so full of shit." I had to laugh.

"What are you talking about?" I said.

"Some broa-" He stopped. "Some young nurse came up to me and tried flirting with me 'n all. She asked if you were my girlfriend and I said yes so she would leave me alone. She told me you were in a coma!" Dallas said, which made me laugh even harder.

"I love you Dallas."

"Love you too, Miss Priss."

I laid back in my bed when it hit me.

"WHERE IS SODA?" I screamed and Dallas jumped.

"Jesus! That scared me. He's okay, don't worry. Doctor's used that shocking thing and brought him back." Dallas explained.

I started to cry.

"Don't cry, don't cry. He's okay." Dallas said, giving me a big hug.

"I thought I had lost him, Dallas. I can't lose him."

"You won't. I promise."

I got discharged from the hospital within a couple hours. I went to see Soda right after they let me out.

"Soda?" I called.

"Come in." He said. He didn't sound good.

I walked in and he looked lifeless. He was super pale, his lips were bright pink, and he had lost some weight.

"I love you." Soda said.

"I love you more." I said, grabbing his hand.

I began to cry again. I don't know what's gotten into me. I never used to cry.

"I really thought I had lost you there, Soda. I thought you were gonna be gone forever." I said.

"Don't say that, Izzy. I'm here. I'm alive." Soda said.

"I know, but I just love you so much, and I never want to lose you. And if I do lose you, well, I don't know what's going to happen. I can't live without you." I said.

"I'm not gonna die. I won't let it happen. I'm fighting this for you, Isabelle Conley. I love you."

I sat there, not knowing whether to smile or cry.