chapter thirty

Izzy's POV

It's been two months since Soda was first diagnosed. Today, he was having surgery to remove the tumor. The nurses warned us how difficult this surgery was, and that he might die in the process. They also said he would die if they didn't remove it, so we didn't have much of a choice.

I was extremely nervous. Honestly, I was probably more nervous than Soda. 

The gang and I all showed up to the hospital at nine that morning. It was a Sunday. Soda's surgery was at 10.

We were all assuring Soda that he was gonna make it through. At 9:45, a nurse walked in and told us we had to leave. I gave Soda a big kiss and told him I loved him more than anything before I left. I couldn't lose him now, not after he had fought this hard already.

The surgery was supposed to take six hours, so me and the gang went to the Dingo to grab lunch. We talked more now. The first few weeks after Soda was diagnosed, no one really spoke to each other. But now, we talked more. 

It was still more quiet than usual at the table.

We went back to the hospital after lunch, and Soda still had three and a half hours left of surgery. Poor guy.

Ponyboy read Gone With the Wind out loud to Johnny and I for at least two hours. Eventually, I fell asleep.

When I woke up, the gang was telling me Soda had just finished.

I ran into Soda's room and he was there. He was alive.

"Soda!" I squealed.

"Hey." Soda said, chuckling.

"How are you feeling?" I asked him.

"I'm okay. I'm on so many medications right now I honestly have no idea what's happening."

The guys came in and we all talked for awhile. Maybe three or four hours. Finally, a nurse came in.

"Sodapop?" The nurse said.

"Yeah?"

"The tumor has successfully been removed. We need to run a couple of tests, but other than that you're doing great." She said.

The gang started cheering and clapping.

"When can I leave?" Soda asked.

"Well, we need to run tests. And if the results are positive, you can leave in a little under two weeks." 

That was the longest two weeks of my life. All of Soda's tests came back proving he wasn't sick anymore, so they just had him recovering. I couldn't wait for him to be back.

>>>>

I woke up at 6:30 for school on a Wednesday morning. I couldn't wait for Saturday, because that's when Soda was supposed to come home.

I got ready for school and ate breakfast with Two-bit before walking out the door to get to the car. We picking up Pony and Johnny and drove off to school. 

The day went as per usual. Me learning a bunch of pointless stuff in order to get a decent job. Because, you know, my future boss is always going to ask me who the ruler of Russia was in 1750.

I went to the DX after school to hang out with Steve. Steve and I had gotten really close since Soda was put into the hospital. We were the two that were the most affected by it, and we helped each other out.

I walked into the DX and Steve was at the counter eating candy.

"Hey Stevie!" I said.

"Pizza! I have a surprise for you!" Steve yelped.