No One Dies but All Hope That Things Will Get Better Does

I clenched my fist until I knew my fingernails were digging into the skin of my first and I couldn't being myself to care because...

I didn't care about anything anymore.

My anger couldn't keep me going, not revenge.

I had done this, this was my fault, I was suffering because of what I did, not because of Vaati.

I don't remember falling to the floor, I just remember Zelda offering a hand to help me up, looking at me with eyes full of tears and concern and pity.

I did not accept her hand. I did not deserve it.

"Mary's dead. Vio's dead, and even if he was still alive he probably hates my guts, after figuring out what I did to all the others...!" The emotion I felt couldn't be described or labeled in any way, and it wasn't sharp it was dull. And it hurt.

"They said I was a part of the team, that I was family. I murdered them! I've been trying to for so long! I ended up getting killed in the end! Just like I expected!"

"Family, Huh?" Zelda spoke quietly, I swore she was masking her anger, she had to be angry with me.

"Vio seduced me into believing he was helping me take down Hyrule," I said with a wave of my hand, dismissing her confusion. But now that I was speaking again, I couldn't stop. "I got him by himself in a forest away from the others and I managed to convince him that he should betray them. He did, at least I thought so. He convinced Red and Blue Green was dead, later dueled with Green and convinced me he was dead, I don't know. He didn't die apparently. Mighta just passed out, or maybe he did die and was just a zombie the rest of the time, again, I don't know."

Zelda gave a weak laugh and sat next to me while I continued.

"I trusted him with everything, I...I...I fell in love with him...Madly, hopelessly in love with him. At first I thought my feelings were platonic, but...they weren't. He said he felt the same way. I believed him because I was desperate and I wanted to hear that. I thought we were friends, or more—" I wasn't sure if I wanted to finish.

She looked at me. "Keep going, I'm listening."

"He followed me to my room and he...he kissed me and it was more than just a kiss. I went to sleep and so close to dawn, I heard a commotion from the chamber where I kept this—"I gestured at the Dark Mirror—"thrice accursed, hunk of junk piece of glass that just so happened to be the only thing keeping me in Hyrule. The thing that made me, that gave me personality...he was trying to destroy it."

I felt my shoulders sag and I stared down at my knees. I swallowed.

"I remember after shattering it myself a couple days later, Green said...something about them being my family... he must have told them. About our relationship. And then it states repeating over and over again, and then it stop repeating. And it needed horribly. And years passed, I kept being reincarnated somehow...because I never finished that one thing...I was supposed to kill the heroes."

I looked up at her. Her expression remained blank. "I don't deserve your forgiveness or anything, I'll never ask for that. I'm not a hero, and I'm not one of the Links. Vaati just doesn't want me getting in his way. That's it."

There was a beat of silence before Zelda grabbed my arms and pulled me towards her, wrapping an arm around my torso. "I think you're pretty great. A little stupid, but...you're a good guy."

"I think you're a little deaf."

"Maybe a little rude too, but okay." She held me at an arms length away. "We beat him once. We can beat him again. We can avenge Mary, and the other Links."

"Vio..."I remembered his last words. He just repeated my name, over and over again. As if it meant something. As if it brought him comfort while he was dying. As if he was trying to grasp the fact that the boy he loved had done that to him.

I didn't understand any of it, but I did know...

We still had to go kill a demon.