Another Complication - Chap. Twenty-One

"Look at me." Abigail ordered, her voice forceful and demanding.

Nathaniel kept his eyes closed, though. Imagining the disappointment that was already on her face was difficult to find himself in. Here Nate stood again, trying to prove every little detail of tonight, to her, just to make Abbi see him as something more than a monster; a demon.

She huffed, an angry noise that only made the guilt pile on itself. He could smell her as she purposely brushed by him and entered the bathroom. It was then that he peeled his eyes open, and had just a second to watch her confused expression before she shut the door in his face. The hall was left in darkness, all except the slit of faint light shimmering from the thin crack underneath the bathroom door.  Nate ran a hand through his wind-tousled golden hair, frustration seeping into his head.

There was no more room for his remorse, and it flooded out as he angrily moved back to his bedroom. Mixed emotions were now running through everything that he'd once thought was stable and sure; they crushed any trace of positivity under their feet, leaving Nathaniel wide open for doubts.

And what he doubted at this moment was the one thing he had once held with such affirmation, the fondness of a certain girl who played with him as much as Lucifer did with his head.

Now thinking upon it, he really couldn't expect any less.

She was supposed to be angry with him. Any human, even if Abigail was an extremely strange one, had some sense of rightness. And what he had done to her was not right.

Had Nate really been so completely blind and insolent in his actions? Blaming it on his Grandfather would not explain why he felt the need to bite her; or to strip her away from her mother, which was twice now. And even though Nathaniel had meant it in the best of ways, this was all bringing a terrible light down on him and Abigail. She was not protected; not in the least, and he had promptly shattered her safety. By taking her away from the situation, it had only made even the skeptical vampires curious about their relationship. Any other would have scolded his Subjugate for making a fool out of them.

But how could he do that? Her reaction to seeing her mother was so ... human; and that's what she was. He couldn't keep pretending the inevitable.

Entering the room, the firelight had descended the walls into a shadowy obscurity while everything else was layered in a deep orange.

There were times when he had wished this wasn't his personal chambers. It held nothing of importance, and although he expressed his boredom through reading an unimaginable amount of books, they were never his passion; or hobby, for that matter. The only thing that this room even possessed, that held any sort of gratitude, was a single novel. And even then, he wasn't satisfied.

If Nathaniel had his way, he would've decorated the room in anything that was expensive, or valuable, or new. The reasoning behind this had miffed him; and Nate wasn't bothered by his own conceitedness.

He had lived with many things, but nothing held his interest as much as Abigail did. And maybe she was just a phase, maybe the way he felt was so different because it had never happened before. Nathaniel always got bored with his things, but to be honest, Abigail still held her mystery and unattainable lust. And that's what bothered him, because while he stood here, trying to sort whether Abigail Worthington was just his Subjugate - the girl who willingly offered him her blood - or something more, there was the small fact that they were not meant to be.

But it was also this thought that brought on a wave indescribable anxiety. Because what if he did get bored with her? What if she had, too, fallen in love with him? And as much as he tried to - that also made him elated. And scared.