Chaste Kiss - Chap. Twenty-Nine

"Nate?" Abbi asked cautiously to the empty darkness. Around her, there was only an endless mass of trees and the uncanny silence between them ... no Nathaniel to be seen anywhere.

She must've underestimated how fast a vampire could really move; even if that vampire was a blond numskull.

Abbi was impeccably crabbed at this point - her mood dropping just like the temperature ... outdoors ... and smack-dab in the center of a forest she had no clue how to navigate. The moon, overhead and covered in a swath of grayish clouds, wasn't helping either; it couldn't even provide the simplest of lights.

"Nathaniel Drake, I swear to God - if you don't get your devilishly handsome face back here right now - I'll ... I'll-" To Abigail's own undignified cowardice, a twig snapped, making her literally leap from the ground and start quaking in her shoes.

Abbi groped out for anything that she could use as a weapon; in this case it being a measly tree branch, all twisted and spindly. She doubted this would even come close to stopping a vampire, but hey, she could always whip the guy to death.

“Stay back!” Abbi yelled to the direction in which she heard the noise. “I’m protected!”

Someone started laughing, a loud, upbeat laugh that belonged to a tall silhouette – peeling itself from the shadows. Abigail didn’t react; instead, she jumped forward, bringing the stick down on her adversary.

In light of their cry of shock, she continued to beat the thing against what seemed to be their chest.

“Stop, Abigail! C’mon – ouch— that freaking hurts!” Nathaniel’s voice was loud in her ears, but she didn’t stop whacking him with the twig.

You” – Whip – “stupid” –Whip—“undeserving” –whip—“vampire! God, you scared the crap out of my flipping crap!” Abbi yelled at him, stopping her attack, out of breath and warily indecisive about what to do now. She then turned away from him and crossed her arms – still clutching onto the stick.

Nate laughed as he came into what little light there was. By the look on his face, he was probably lying about her hitting him, hurting. Still defiant, she raised the thing and gave him a threatening scowl. That seemed to sober him up pretty quickly; Nathaniel effectively stopped laughing and put two palms up in her direction, defensively.

“I’m sorry; I thought we were having fun, though. Were you really scared of me, or was that all for pretend?”

I’m going to kill him, Abbi decided, her face becoming dark as she whipped her neck in Nathaniel’s direction and practically growled. That – again – made Nate very aware that she continued to have the weapon locked in her fingers.

“Okay, so you weren’t pretending.” He said, strangely giving her a cautious glance. “But that didn’t mean you had to beat me up – that stick is as close to a wooden stake as any.”

Abbi dropped the twig, still smoldering in her own silent way. She started trudging away, arms wrapped around her shoulders, trying to slow down the racing of her heart.

“Where are you going?” Nate asked, confused.

Abbi didn’t turn around. “What does it look like, Nathaniel? I’m cold … I’m tired … and I just about ruined my underwear because my idiot boyfriend thought it was funny to play practical jokes.” She grumbled angrily.

“Boyfriend?”

Abigail sighed heavily, stopped walking, and then turned on him with a defeated glare. “Well, that’s basically what you are, aren’t you?”