Objects - Chap. Twenty-Six

Abruptly enough, Evie invited Nate and Abbi to the rehearsal the night it was scheduled to happen. This, made trying to look seemly a difficulty task; one that Abbi didn't really enjoy doing.

With her immodest, new affections now straightened out and in order, it wasn't troubling to express her feelings towards Nathaniel - when they were in private - but now, Abbi was worried about the company they would be keeping at this dinner. She knew that Nate would have no problem exulting his emotions - because he usually showed them off wherever they went. It was more Abigail than Nathaniel, this time. Plus, after the tragic sort of night they both shared at the Black and White ball, she wasn't sure about an evening with the bloodsuckers.

It was these troubling thoughts that plagued her mind as she scrambled about the bedroom, attempting to get ready - but failing, quite sadly.

Firstly, her dress was wrinkled, and the straps continuously insisted on falling off her shoulders. Then there was the situation in which Abbi was positive she'd gotten thinner (the blue gown was hanging off her limp form), and she hadn't a wink of good, quality sleep in days - making the dark circles under her eyes unbearable. While trying to hide as much tiredness from her expression as possible, Abbi tried to do something with her wild hair - and like before, no luck.

All in all, she looked a mess, and the worst part was that Nathaniel repeatedly told her she looked lovely (which was obviously a lie, the boy was probably just trying to get points).

"Is there going to be food at this dinner?" Abbi asked Nate as he moved into the room, dressed like a rich man with the face of a Greek God.

He raised a curious eyebrow, stuffing his hands in his pockets as he gave her a strange look. "Abigail, there's a reason it's called a dinner." He chastised in a voice of humor and mock.

She shot him a glare. "Well, there's also a reason I'm called dinner, too, but let's not get into those details, shall we?"

Nate chuckled, slowly sitting down on his plush bed as he regarded her with an easy expression. "Hm. Someone's being a little more pessimistic than usual."

Abbi rolled her eyes, huffed a breath, and yanked back a loose curl that fell into her face. "It's all these vampires ... giving me a stupid headache, and it's because of your vampire-ish self that I have this headache in the first place."

"How is it my fault?" Nathaniel asked, inclining his head to admire her from behind his long lashes.

"Because," Abigail took a deep breath, beginning her rant. "You're the one who just had to tear up Evangeline's invitation to this rehearsal dinner; and then she had to barge in and start smiting your face with pillows, along with practically screaming at us to go. You see, if we had only gotten that letter, than I would be looking somewhat decent at the moment, but instead - you're the beauty, and I'm the beast."

He cleared his throat, still regarding her lazily from his position on the mattress. "Do I have to remind you which one of us has fangs and sucks blood?"

 Abbi sighed, putting a hand over her eyes. "I'd really rather you didn't."

Suddenly, Nathaniel's arms were snaking around her waist, and he brought her to his chest - she didn't even hear him get up. "Then you should realize that you're the most beautiful girl I've ever laid eyes on - and I am clearly the monster between the two of us." He said into her ear, his lips barely grazing the sensitive skin there. "Perhaps ... I should even remind you of how beautiful you are, Love."

Abbi grinned, then shoved him away, a certain twinkle in her eyes. "Oh shut up. I know that I'm beautiful ... just not on this particular vesper."