Abandonment - Chap. Twenty-Eight

Abigail could only gaze loathsomely toward Patten and Evie; whom danced like there was absolutely no one else in the room but each other.

It was unfair and extremely biased for her to even be jealous, but honestly, when your 'significant other' was off doing who knows what, who knows where, she had the right to feel cross. Abbi was stuck, twiddling her thumbs at this lonesome table while she repeatedly received all-too-knowing stares, and Nathaniel wasn't even anywhere around.

The candid truth was that she was the only human in the house, and as much as she tried to hide the fact, Abbi felt ostracized, and alone. Plus, the one person who was supposed to be by her side, well, wasn't, leaving her under a dark cloud of rabid lightning.

I knew this would be a bad idea, she thought to herself.

The music around them was slow, slow enough for the desolate feelings inside her, to become useless. What's the point of being angry if no one's there to feel bad for you?

Abigail sighed, leaning on her hands as she studied the diverse vampires, all spinning around and around in their lovers' arms, like they had an eternity to do so - to be careless and free (which, technically speaking, they did). Abbi, however, could only reminisce in how un-free she was.

Not for the first time, she longed to see her mother - the one person who just might be as eccentric as Evangeline. She wanted to feel the familiar rough carpet of their lowly apartment underfoot, and smell the outside air (actually rather putrid compared to the air she has been breathing).

There was nothing like the knowledge of being out of place; Abbi didn't belong here, and instead was only temporarily comprehending this world - his world.

And just when Abigail suddenly felt the overpowering sensation to let go a frustrated scream, someone tapped her shoulder.

Abbi slowly turned her head, hands constricted into tight fists. She already knew who it was by just the way the hairs on the back of her neck were standing straight up.

Nate offered her an apologetic expression as he held out a deep blue flower (where exactly he got the plant, she was unsure of) and smirked with sappy intentions. "I'd say I'm sorry, but I have a feeling it won't help anything."

She smoldered, turning her shoulders away from him. "Once again, your instincts are correct." Abbi could hear the chair next to her loudly scrape back as Nate took a seat, his hands resting on the white tablecloth.

For a while, only silence rung between the two of them. He, fidgeting awkwardly in his chair, while she was enjoying every second of his discomfort.

"Listen, Abigail, I am sincerely sorry ... but I had to settle matters with my cousin; the time slipped by so fast and I thought I'd left you with Evangeline and Patten-"

"God, you're a moron." Abbi said dully, keeping her head turned towards the dance floor. Beside her, Nathaniel was silent one moment, then in the next, was thrown into a small fit of uncharacteristic laughing. She he had to keep her own reason straight to stop herself from laughing with him.

Abbi put her thumb and forefinger above her eyes; trying not to succumb to the humor of it all.

"I think we've thoroughly established my level of intellect; now, can we please dance?" Nate tried to hush his unstoppable pour of giggles, and with the way his shoulders were still quivering, she assumed it would be best to just take his hand and start twirling - lest Nathaniel from imploding in on himself, and all.

Abbi put her smaller hands in his bigger ones, eyeing the boy speculatively as she stood up in a trance-like state. "Fine, but if you abandon me again, I'm taking Jeffery and we're leaving - without you." She clarified, watching Nate as he gracefully lifted himself from the chair and pulled her into the frock of vampires.