A World Apart Part 3

The look of shock on his face made me realize he hasn’t meant to say it, “No. I’m sorry. It just slipped. Look I’m really not trying to cause trouble here.”

I scoff, “Yeah well you sure seem to be trying to do something.”

He stepped towards me, “Yeah I’m trying...I want...I have...” he shook his head, looked at sonny, “I just can’t.” and jumped back in the pool.

I looked at sonny, “What the hell?!?! Why can’t y’all just leave us alone. We get one vacation in years and we haven’t been able to enjoy it yet because of y’all.”

Sonny smiled, “Well maybe this will help. Zac isn’t trying to cause problems. He likes you...”

I scoff, “Yeah I can tell. He is one of a kind isn’t he? And just how is that supposed to help?”

Sonny looked at me confused, “He likes you...”

I shook my head, “Yeah I heard that. Is that supposed to make everything all better? What exactly is the point? And if he likes me why is he such an ass?”

Sonny shook his head, “That part he has to tell you. I’m just responsible for finding out if your interested.” he smiled at me questioningly, expecting my answer to be yes.

“No I’m not interested. Now can my kids and I enjoy our vacation please?”

Sonny raised an eyebrow, “I can’t make any promises.”

Exasperated I turn to the kids, “Its time to go. We need to eat and get in bed.”

Zac followed them out of the pool. The kids and I head to the room and I notice Sonny and Zac, in hushed conversation, following us. We get to the door and as I’m unlocking the door I notice they have the room right next door. Zac smiles at me and we disappear with me locking the door behind us.

‘This guy is crazy’

I got the kids fed, washed up and in bed before fighting with myself about going out for a cigarette. I wanted to go outside and have one but I’m almost scared I will run into Zac and I’m just done with trying to convince him to go away. I cracked the door and saw their room door was shut. As I snuck out I noticed their curtains were closed. I decided I was going to hide in the truck to smoke so that i could avoid him. I looked like a teenager trying to sneak out  when i carefully and as quietly as i could, open the truck door and slid in. As I was getting in I noticed a note taped to my steering wheel and a long stem red rose attached to it. I rolled my eyes and tossed it on the passenger seat before lighting my cigarette. After a couple of minutes the curiosity killed me so I picked it up and read it:

Look I still don’t even know your name and I have no idea why I am going to tell you this but I seem to be making a bigger mess the harder I try to talk to you so here goes. I’m a confident guy normally but when it comes to you I lose my voice. I can’t get my brain and mouth to work together. I can’t explain my determination to find you. Was it the fact that you didn’t fall at my feet? Was it the fact that something was pulling me to you? I have no  ;idea. All I know is I needed to meet you. I needed to talk to you. Then when I got the opportunity I was at a loss. That’s never happened to me before. When I COULD talk to you and was confident it was all an act. I had to force myself which meant nothing would come out right. I will leave you alone if that’s what you really want but I wish you would at least give me a chance to talk to you. The real me. You keep saying you don’t know me. Well I don’t know yo u either but I want a chance to make a new friend. Nothing more. Just a friend. Please give me this chance.