A World Apart Part 10

He hands me another CD, “This one is better. You can listen to it and you will see why.” and he leans in, kissing me before opening the door to let me get in the truck. After closing the door behind me he leans in the window for one last kiss before backing away and standing there, watching us drive away.

I will never forget the sadness on his face and the tears streaming down his face as we drove away.

The CD was full of songs talking about not forgetting someone, not being able to breathe when they aren’t around, being their hero, and how a heart breaks when they are gone. The message was clear and after over hearing it from his own mouth at the party I was beginning to think he really thought he loved me. ‘He is crazy if he thinks he loves me. True something happens every time he kisses me but that could just be lust. He has to be confused because its not possible for someone lik e him to love someone like me.’

My thoughts are interrupted by my phone ringing, “Hello?”

“Hey sweetheart. I just wanted to make sure you were okay.”

The tears start and I can’t stop them. I’m just glad he isn’t standing in front of me to see them flowing down my cheeks, “We are fine.”

He hesitates, “You don’t sound fine. Sounds like you have been crying.”

I try to sound normal, “No just starting to get a cold already because of the difference in weather. I’m fine.”

He pauses and finally says, “Okay well I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I will let you get back on the road. Have you listened to the CD?”

“Yeah listening to it now.”

He questions, “How far into it are you?”

I laugh, “Well there are over a hundred songs on it so we are about half way through it.” I’m almost scared he is going to ask me what I think of it but instead he says, “Okay well just make sure you listen to number eighty nine. That is my favorite and makes me think of you when I hear it. You can call me when you get home if you want. Please be careful.”

“Okay I will talk to you later.” I reply.

“Julie...”

“Yeah?” I ask, scared he is going to try to tell me he loves me.

“I miss you.”

I have to force myself to say, “I miss you too.” and I hang up before he can say anything else.

My curiosity gets the best of me and I flip until I get to number eighty nine. The music starts to play and I know I have heard the song but I listen carefully to the lyrics:

“Closed off from love I didn’t need the pain. Once or twice was enough and it was all in vain time starts to pass and before you know it your frozen. But something happened for the very first time with you my heart melts into the ground found something true and everyone’s looking round thinking i’m going crazy. But i don’t care what they say I’m in love with you they try to pull me away but they don’t know the truth my hearts crippled by the vein that i keep on closing. You  cut me open and I keep bleeding keep keep bleeding love...”