A World Apart Part 14

Drew sticks his head in, “You okay?”

I shake my head, “Well other than everybody here thinking they are in love with me and my ex out to kill me I guess I’m just freaking peachy.”

He comes on in, “I’m not in love with you...” He hangs his head slightly, “But I can see what the problem is. I don’t think Kendall is in love with you and nobody else is going to tell you so I guess I will spell it out for you. Zach is crazy about you. He is head over heels in love with you and I can totally see why. Kendall...well he isn’t IN love with you but I can see that he loves you. He and Zach have discussed it. They can only say that there is something about you...”

I laugh so loud and throw my hands to my mouth before I wake the kids, “So there is something about me huh? And just what would that be?”

Drew shakes his head, “I’m not sure but remember when you reminded me I was married earlier?” I shook my head, “I wasn’t going to kiss you...at least I don’t think I was...but you had me in a trance almost. Looking into your eyes was...I can’t even come up with a word to describe it. There is something magical about you...” he chuckles, “That’s about the only way I can describe it. Are you a witch?” he jokes.

I laugh slightly, “No I’m not a witch and I honestly think you have all lost your damn minds. I just want my life back. I don’t need a babysitter...or three. I appreciate ya’ll wanting to help but your just stressing me out more by being here.”

His face drops, “I’m sorry you feel that way. The last thing we wanted to do was cause more stress on you but you can’t just make us go away. That’s not the way it works.”

Kendall quietly comes back in, not looking at me at all, and lays down on the other side of Drew. 

I put my hand on Drew’s shoulder, “Okay but can you go away for just a few minutes?” I almost joke.
He laughs and disappears out the door without saying a word.

I slide over to Kendall who rolls to face away from me, “Kendall talk to me please.” He tries to act like I don’t exist. I put my hand on his shoulder and he shrugs it off, “Kendall please. I’m sorry.” The tears start in my eyes, “I am not used to all of this. Any man that has ever tried to get close to me has wanted something in return. I don’t understand this fascination you all have with me and I keep waiting for you to turn around and say you want something from me...”

He rolls over, the tears trickling down his cheek and carefully cups my face in his hands, “We do want something from you...” as he gently uses his thumbs to wipe away the tears, “We want you to be happy, healthy and have a life that is yours. Regardless if you spend it with me or Zach or anyone we want you to have that option. I only came because...” he hangs his head slightly, “Because if you aren’t alive and free you can’t make your own decisions.”

I look at him confused, “Decisions about what?”

He shakes his head, “About what YOU want for you and your kids. Not what other people want you to have or what your allowed to have without being scared all the time. (yn) that’s no way for anyone to live. I can’t explain it to you. I don’t understand it myself but when I met you I could feel your sadness...your terror. I can’t imagine how you must feel because it made me scared to death for you and I can’t, in any way, let that continue if I have a way to protect you or prevent it.”

I decide to push the question, “Kendall are you in love with me?”

He smiles at me, “I’m not necessarily IN love with you but I do love you. Its not the throw you down and ravage your body kind of love...” he laughs, “But its something more than a sister/brother type love.” He shakes his head, “I told you I couldn’t explain it. I just want to wrap you up in my arms and protect you from everything that could ever hurt you. I just want to make it all go away and make you happy.”

I lean into him and put his arms around me, “I need that right now.”