A World Apart Part 11

His eyes were about to pop out of his head, “I’m so sorry sweetheart. I don’t know what to say. I don’t know what to do.”

“There...is...nothing...” I can hardly breathe to speak.

He pulls me to him and refuses to let me go. I give in and cry on his shoulder, feeling safe in his embrace.

I finally pull away, “He murdered her and now they can’t find him. I have a restraining order but of course that isn’t going to stop him...”

He questions, “Why would you take a vacation in the middle of all of this?”

The tears are still falling like raindrops, “He was getting to close. We aren’t in witness protection because they couldn’t offer us that since we weren’t eye witnesses to the whole thing but we are pretty much in hiding. The school knows everything that has been going on and doesn’t say anything when they miss to much school.” I walked out on the patio and lit a cigarette and he joined me as I continued, “This happened in North Carolina and we got word that he was in Georgia. The detecti ve and I felt like he was getting too close and the kids and I needed to get out for a little while. Hence the trip to California. We hide from the world and its really no way to live but until they find him we don’t have much choice. We do get out and do some things but not a lot and I’m very careful.”

He questions, “If they know where he is why don’t they pick him up?”

I retort, “He is always one step ahead of them. They get there and have missed him by an hour or so each time.”

He hesitates, “I don’t even know what to say. I understand so much now.”

I walk towards the front door with him following. I open it, “You can go now. Thank you for everything.”

He closes the door, locking it behind me, “Are you crazy? I’m not going anywhere.”

I shake my head, “You can’t be the hero here. Being a hero in real life gets people hurt and I won’t let you get hurt because of me.”

He pulls me to him, “Its not your choice and you can’t control me or what I chose to do. I’m not going anywhere so you might as well get used to that.”

I get angry, “Can’t you see that you being around us puts us all in danger? Not just you but me and my kids also. When people figure out who you are and recognize you then we will be plastered all over the place and he will be able to find us. I can’t run that risk no matter what. I have to keep my kids safe.”

He leads me over to the couch, “I will NEVER let anything happen to those kids or you. I would die first.”

I shake my head, “Although I appreciate what your trying to do I can’t let you do it.”

He smiles, “You just don’t understand do you? I’m not going anywhere and you can’t make me.”

I hear the bus, “The kids are home.” and I start trying to get myself together as I dry my eyes.

They come in and the excitement begins. 

Kristi was quick to tell me, “See mom I told you that you would hear from him again.”