Chapter 10

It was just an illusion. It's not real. It's all fine.
That's what Alex told herself as she sat looking a mess within a circle of concerned combat boys, covered in cuts and bruises, staring at the ground.
"Queenie! Are you alright?"
"What happened?"
"Can you hear me?"
The voices of her peers where slowly becoming less muffled as Alex came back to reality.
She was fine.
Alex took a deep, shaky breath and looked up at the boys.
Kaiden was beside her with his arms around her shoulders and the other boys where all crowched around them.
"I'm fine everyone. Don't worry" Alex said halfheartedly.
"Are you sure?" Kaiden asked, his face scrunched with concern.
"Yes." Alex said.
She was alright. She didn't mean to kill him. It was an illusion.
Taking a deep breath and standing tall, she pushed the horrible last minutes away and focused on the present.
That was the last task. The class would all be back at the academy soon, laughing about their experiences and having fun.
Alex almost didn't care that the trip was all part of one of Karter's assessments, because despite the downs, Alex had had alot of fun.
It was great, laughing with the boys, wrapped in Kaiden's arms. Almost peaceful enough to make her forget about what the future may hold and live in the moment.
Because Aven would come whether Alex was ready or not, so living in fear would only make her more vunrable.
Even as Karter barked at the class impatiently when the class arrived back at Akarnae, Alex was happy, the sun shone, and all was well.