In 5 Years

Dinner that night rolled around and it was solemn. Harry and I went over more of what happened to us on the run, and the parts about what happened at Malfoy Manor Draco told for me. No one said anything, just let us tell our story, until we sat around the big bonfire making American style s'mores.

"How can you forgive him? You two are together after everything he put you through. It is something I still don't completely understand," the therapist healer stated and many of our classmates nodded in agreement.

I thought about my words carefully. I needed to get this right. Not just for me, or Draco, or Harry. But just 'right'. Whatever that was.

"I understand where Draco came from. I saw his home. I knew of the bigotry that surrounded his youth. When we were in the Manor, that day, I saw the pain that he was going through also. There was something deep down, he didn't need to tell me, but a fear. He lived in fear also. Just like Harry, Ron and I did. Our fear was what was 'out there' - Voldemort. His fear was the same but it was where he was. He lived in a constant state of fear also and it showed. Harry had told us about what happened on the Astronomy tower. But I didn't understand until that day. I looked to him when..." He took my hand because it was tracing my scar and had me rest my head on his shoulder, "I looked to him when his aunt... He held my gaze. Never wavered. He looked to be pleading with me, scared for me."

"Because I couldn't see you die. I cared too much for you love," he whispered and I looked up into his tearfilled eyes.

"I forgave him that night for everything in the past he did to hurt me. I honestly believe if it weren't for Draco and Dobby of course, I wouldn't have made it out of the Manor that night. It is my place to forgive him, and no one should judge either of us for it."

"I remember too much from that night," he began. "Everything from being called down to identify three people caught to listening to her cries. I think that night everything broke within me. It wasn't doing what my family wanted anymore, because I had just been surviving for so long. It was having them survive and thank Merlin, win. Everyday I look at her and wonder why I get to be forgiven, who am I to deserve it? Who am I to deserve this woman's love like she has given me?" His head bowed, "I will never deserve her, but every day I strive to deserve just her forgiveness. She makes me a better man. She makes this world a better place."

There could have been a pin dropped in the castle and we would have heard it. Everyone took it in. It seemed like an hour passed like this, in painful yet thoughtful silence, before the therapist healer spoke again, "I see that many of us, me included, have to think on the words said tonight. Why don't we all call it a night and resume in the morning. We have more fun activities planned. Good night everyone."

There were mumbles of friends saying their good nights. Draco, Harry and I just stayed watching the fire.

"You three are stronger than anyone gives you credit for." She spoke to us directly. "I mean what you went through Harry is legendary. Hermione, you are an exemplary and strong witch. Draco, the tragedy that you have suffered through unimaginable. I suggest you three stay here tonight and talk anything else out. None of you have brought up the third member of the famous trio, the one that isn't here today, Ronald Weasley. I don't know if it is too fresh or what, but you shouldn't let it stew for too long. Talk about him tonight. Just the three of you. I want to see you before breakfast."

We three remained silent for quite some time. Finally Harry broke, "I don't think there is enough firewhiskey in Hogsmeade to discuss Ron tonight."

Draco chuckled and I just nodded in agreement. Leaning back, I watched the stars come out and took in the insignificance of my life. I have done so much in such a short time, but in the grand scheme of the universe it meant less than a grain of sand. At that moment, I didn't know if that was calming or terrifying.