Only A Fantasy

We all were correct about the amount of owls that came into the school over the next few days. Many of which were bearing gifts for me - thank yous and congratulatory gifts also. I even had numerous job offers included. The one that struck us all was the one from the Prophet itself - lead reporter. I would have have free reign over what I covered.

Crap, something more to ponder as a career choice.

Draco had the opposite of what I received. Numerous hate messages seemed to start again, many with the message of how he could defile such a strong and virtuous witch as myself. We laughed the ones exploiting how my virtue would only be tarnished by his getting me up the duff as he had. But the others, the ones that called upon his past actions, hurt him. They hurt him greater than any spell or curse could. It ate at him from the inside and I saw him turn upon himself.

And I felt hopeless, not being able to pull him out of the abyss that he sank into. Gone was the strong, cocky, smiling man I have grown to love. In his place was a hurt little boy.

I sent an owl to the healer therapist that we had over the last weekend, explaining my fears. He sent back a message that he will come as soon as his schedule had more than 15 minutes free. My article had seemed to increase his appointments three fold and they are in desperate need for more healers to help out with the increase.

I think this is good for our community, but worry about the man currently drawn into himself as he sits across from me at our table barely picking at his food. He looks like he did during our 6th year all over again. The weight that he faces is hardening him. I can't remember when I last saw him really smile.

He even slept in his own room last night.

"What is the plan for this weekend? Should we pick a new movie for Friday?" I have tried to get him out, and this is my current attempt.

"Umph." A grunt. At least he acknowledges me.

"I was thinking that maybe we can do something light. Like we talked about last week. A cartoon. How would that be?"

"I think I would rather just stay in our dorm. You can pick the movie and go with your friends. I don't seem to be up to it."

Crap. Crapity crap, crap, crap. This is not good. This will take some major recon to get him out. Something big. Something Malfoy-esque. Something....

"Well it is Hogsmeade this weekend. Do you want to go? We could go to Hogs Head or the quidditch store. Whatever you want."

"You, volunteering for a trip into the quidditch store? What have you done with Hermione Jean Granger?" His snarky tone cut. Really cut. It was that nasty snark that goes into my soul and slices it like it was in a deli slicer.

"For you, yes. For Harry or Ron, nope. Ginny is a toss up." I say trying to be jovial and somewhat flippant about it.

"Why? Why would you go out of your way for me? I am nothing. Just a washed up, wanna be Death Eater that will do nothing but bring you pain and harm!" He bellowed so the whole Great Hall heard before throwing down his fork and storming out the door.

This is going to hurt. This is going to hurt physically and emotionally. I see McGonagall rush towards me, "I am taking the location charm off. I am also going to send an emergency floo call to St. Mungo's to have the healer therapist come immediately. I won't let anything befall Mister Malfoy, Hermione dear. Just give me a few moments." She waved her wand and muttered the charm removal and was off in a flurry of her robes.

I didn't see Draco the rest of the day. I also didn't feel the pain, well the physical pain at least, from being apart from him. The emotional pain of not being there for him when he needed someone the most hurt still. The evening came and he didn't show for dinner. Nor was he in our dormitory, though his room was locked and spelled so that no one could enter.