♕ S I X ♕

CHAPTER 6: BANDS AND MELODIES

MICKAELA

             It was Saturday, I was on on my bed doing nothing but scrolling through tweets.  Music was bursting from my iHome.  I was casually singing along to Rude, not much of a singer but who cares anyway?  It’s just me.  My phone lit up.   Toby texted.

            “From: Toby

             Want to go for a walk later?  I’ve got nothing else to do by then anyway.”

          I texted back saying I would love to go.   Thirty minutes had passed, he replied back saying he would pick me up at around 5 pm.  I stayed on my bed the whole day not bothering to even go down or go out.

              I was on YouTube when something caught my eye, a cover video “All of Me – Before You Exit” an upcoming boy band perhaps?  I click to check, and besides I love that song so I might as well hear it.  The video loaded a lot quicker than usual.  I intently listen to it, eyes closed, headphones on.  Then, I heard a distinct voice, the same one I heard when we were moving in a couple months ago.  I got up and checked.  Guess who I saw?  You thought right, Toby James McDonough.

            I stood there, eye’s wide.  Am I seeing what I’m really seeing?  Toby in a band! Curiosity got me, I decided to look “Before You Exit” in any possible site that I could.  The noise inside their garage, Toby usually busy and I, being bullied and treated like crap.  It all makes sense now.  I was pretty relieved knowing the exact reason behind all of this mess.

             It lasted me the whole day searching for every single thing about them.  It started to when they were formed, their original members, every detail about them, I was determined to find out.  The only question is why didn’t he tell me earlier?

         I kept thinking about it, my head almost pounding, stress and disappointment but at the same time happy because I get to know more about him.  I thought about the so called ‘Mean Girls’ at my school and said to myself, “Guess who Toby spends the most time with? Me!”   I laughed at that thought but you got to admit it was a bit mean but they were mean to me, too. We’re just tied.   My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on my door.

         “Honey, Toby’s downstairs!”  I froze.  I was so distracted, I didn’t even notice the time. I looked over to my clock which reads 5:15 pm.

         “Tell him to come up!” I screamed back.

         I closed my laptop and I picked out my clothes - an oversized jumper, a pair of black leggings.  I rushed to the bathroom and took a quick shower and changed.

         Once I got out, I saw Toby sitting on my bed using my laptop.  Nerves got to me so I ran and slammed my laptop shut. Did I even close the program? What on earth did he saw?  I wasn’t planning on telling him about the little secret he kept from me.  I snapped back to reality when I saw Toby staring at me weirdly.  I decided to ask the obvious question.

         “What on earth did you see?” I said with my voice slightly cracking.

         “Nothing, I was just looking at your photos on the folder you have” He said.

         “You don’t have to be too defensive.  Are you sure you didn’t see anything else?” I said.

         “Positive, but if I did” he said giggling.

         “Toby… Don’t make me ask again” I said nearly mad at all his teasing.

         “Okay, I did not see anything, Mick! Calm Down. Now put your shoes on, brush your hair and let’s head out!” He said dragging me to where my shoes are and grabbing me a hairbrush.

         We both decided to take the longer way to the park since I haven’t been walking around the neighborhood a lot.  Toby decided to show me around.  We reached the park at almost 6 pm.  He showed me his favorite spot.  It was under this big tree in the very middle of the park. We both sat down and I just stayed quiet for a while, looking around, and wind slightly blowing.

         "Hey, you’ve been quiet all day. What’s wrong?” Toby said breaking the silence.

         “Nothing major, I found out something quite interesting today.” I said looking at him smiling.

         “What is it?” he said.

         “It’s my secret. Can you do something for me?” I said sitting up straight and turning to him.

         “Sure, what is it?” He said assuring.

         “I heard you singing aloud back when you waved at me.  Can you sing to me? I just want to hear you sing again.

         He stayed quiet and signaled me to lay my head down on his lap and told me too look up.  You could see the sky was clear, a full moon and a whole lot of stars. I could tell he was looking at me because he always does.

         “Any time now McDonough…” I giggled looking back at him.

         “Can you just wait for one second? I’m thinking of a song” he said.

         I decided to stay quiet and wait for him.  I looked back at the sky. Taking a deep breath, he began singing, melodies on point.  He looked at me every after verse and chorus, I would just look back and smile.

 “Staring at the ceiling in the dark
Same old empty feeling in your heart
'Cause love comes slow and it goes so fast
Well you see her when you fall asleep
But never to touch and never to keep
'Cause you loved her too much and you dive too deep

Well you only need the light when it's burning low
Only miss the sun when it starts to snow
Only know you love her when you let her go
Only know you've been high when you're feeling low
Only hate the road when you're missing home
Only know you love her when you let her go
And you let her go
Oh oh oh no
And you let her go
Oh oh oh no
Well you let her go”

            Once he finished, he looked at his watch and told me to sit up.

           “It’s already 7pm, let’s go home” he said.  I nodded and walked with him.

            “You know you have an angelic voice.  Keeps me calm, actually.” I said smiling at him and grabbing his arm because it was too cold to just stand beside him.

            “Thanks, You cold?” he said and I nodded. He took his arm off my grip and pulled me closer to him.

             We reached our front porch before he could turn and walk away.  I called him back.

             “Hey Toby! Thank you for today” I said with a smile and he nodded back. I went inside and headed to my room.

             I sat on my bed, opening my laptop and searched the date for their next show.  It will be tomorrow.  That’s why he was so busy today.  I walked down and told my mom everything and that I would buy tickets for their show tomorrow and surprise Toby there. She agreed and I went straight back to my room.

             I made most of my night making banners and choosing clothes for tomorrow.  I bought a ticket, front row. I don’t have anyone coming with me so it was a cheap luxury as I would say. Once I finished everything, I called Paige via Facetime and told her everything.  Guess who freaked out more? Of course, it was Paige.

            Toby James McDonough, let me reveal the secret I have been hiding all day. It’s going to be one hell of a surprise.