Chapter 20 - Xavier

"Please don't go," I pleaded into Harper's ear.

When I called Macy and she let it slip that she'd be coming over with Harper to pack her things - I panicked. I always thought I'd be happy when she left,  hell I wished for it long enough and now that the times actually here; I felt in my heart that it wasn't right. These past few weeks have been a huge wake up call for me. I always saw Harper as a weak individual but when I actually thought about it; she was stronger than anyone I ever knew. It takes a strong woman to endure the shit I put her through for almost a year.

"Xavier, what the hells wrong with you? Put her down before you squeeze the life out of her!" Macy shouted, breaking me out of my internal struggle.

For a moment I forgot where I was when I felt movement in my hands. I looked down and saw Harper looking up at me with pleading eyes. I apologised and set her down. I watched as she took a deep breath in and I took a step towards her, only to have her step back.

I scratched the back of my head asking, "Are you really moving?"

Harper just nodded her head looking down.

"Why?"

This made her look up. "I need space and I wanted to be closer to both my jobs. Thank you so much for allowing me to stay here for the past six weeks."

I felt like shit. Here she was thanking me for allowing her to stay at my house, when I practically begged my parents not to let her stay here and lost that battle. Don't even get me started on how much of a dickhead I was. I barely acknowledged her existence around the house unless I was hungry. I never cleant up after myself. The first time I had a conversation with her was two weeks ago when Alexander came over. When I had guests over, I made sure that she stayed out of my way.

"It's no problem. You're welcome here anytime."

She nodded before she made her way inside, and I watched as she disappeared further into the house.

"Xavier, can you tell me what the hell that was all about?" Macy said as she stared up at me with her hands on her waist and a serious look on her face.

I took a deep breath before answering, "Leave it alone Macy. The real question is, where's Harper moving and when?"

Macy was quiet for a long moment simply staring intently at me before answering, "She's moving to Ponsonby in a nice little one bedroom apartment not too far from the bakery and the school. She moves in tomorrow, which is why we need to get her things packed up immediately."

I sucked in a harsh breath, not quite coming to terms that Harper would be leaving tomorrow.

"Has she said anything about me?"

"She hasn't said much and if she did I wouldn't be a good friend if I told you. But Xavier, what's going on? Is there something going on between the two of you?"

"I haven't exactly been honest with you sis. I haven't treated Harper the way any girl should be treated and now it's too late for me to make amends," I said to Macy looking down in shame.

"I know you don't exactly like Harper for some warped reason but whatever is going on between the two of you can't be that bad Xav."

"It's bad sis. She's been staying here's for almost two months and the first time I actually spoke to her was the week that Alexander came and visited. I made her cry two nights before that and I don't think that's the first time I ever made her cry," I admitted.

I felt a slap against my head and knew that Macy was angry. Heck, I was angry at myself. "Damnit Xavier! I'm so pissed at you right now. I thought Harper was safe here with you and that you'd treat her like a little sister. You never made me cry when we were younger and now you're telling me this. You need to tell me everything you've done and don't you dare leave anything out."