[ viii ]

CHAPTER EIGHT

♔♔♔

Jenna, Luca, Jeremy, and Elena walk out of the police station, having just been interviewed about Vicky's disappearance. "We'll meet you guys at the car," Luca says after seeing Stefan standing in front of the police station. Jenna nods and walks to the car with Jeremy.

"You okay?" Stefan asks, walking up to the twins.

"I don't think Liz suspects anything. Whatever Damon did worked, Jeremy only remembers what I wanted him to. I can't help but feel guilty," Luca whispers looking down.

"You did it to help him, and me. Thank you," Stefan thanks her and Luca smiles at him.

"I can't do this Stefan. Every time I look at Matt or Jeremy, all I think is that Vicky is never gonna come back, and they'll never know why. Around you, people get hurt and people die, and I just - I - It's too much. I-" Elena is cut off from her rant by Stefan.

"Why don't we go somewhere and talk about it?" He asks gently.

"No. Stefan, you have to stay away from me," Elena says before walking away. Luca sighs when she sees Stefan's heartbroken face.

"Don't worry Stef, it's just... Hard for her to process. She'll come around," Luca reassures him. Stefan nods, looking unsure still but he smiles for her sake.

"Thank you, Luca. For everything."

"I will do anything to help you, Stefan," Luca promises before looking over at her family. "I gotta go, I'll see you later," Luca says smiling at him, he nods and she walks to the car.

♔♔♔

Jenna plops onto the couch next to the twins, looking at Elena. "You're wallowing."

"So are you," Elena responds before going back to playing with the fringe on her blanket.

"My wallow is legitimate. I was dumped."

"Yeah. Well, Logan's a jerk," Luca says messing with the bandaging on her hand. She had told everyone she cut it while trying to cook. She didn't have to worry about her stomach because it was always covered, and as for her neck, she just made sure to wear turtlenecks. She's thankful it's more on her shoulder than on her neck.

"Shut up, Luca. You didn't get a brushoff email saying 'I'm leaving town. See ya,'" Jenna says darkly thinking about the email.

"Wanna keep it down over there?" Jeremy yells them from the dining room. Luca turns her body to look at him.

"Why, what are you doing?" She asks, squinting her eyes suspiciously.

"Homework," Jeremy responds shortly and the girls look at each other in shock.

"Since when do you do homework?" Elena asks, confused. Jenna and Luca look at him like he just grew wings.

"I gotta finish this. I'm way behind, and I have a quiz tomorrow, so..." Jeremy explains like it was obvious.

"What do you think? Alien?" Luca asks Jenna and Elena.

"Some sort of replicant," Jenna adds.

Jeremy looks up at them with an annoyed expression. "He can hear you."

Luca stares at him, and then a thought hits her. Damon.

♔♔♔

There was a knock on the door and it opened to reveal Bonnie. "You up?" she asks.

"Sadly, yes," Luca whines covering her head with her blanket. Bonnie walks into the room and fights with her to pull off the blankets. "No. No. No. You monster," Luca whines when Bonnie ultimately wins.