[ ii ]

CHAPTER TWO

♔♔♔

Luca walks out of her room grabbing her bag, as she's about to walk downstairs Jenna stops her. "Do I look like an adult? As in respectfully parental," Jenna asks her as Elena walks out of her room.

"Depends where you're going," Elena says cheerfully and Luca looks at her suspiciously.

Someone's in a good mood.

"Jeremy's parent-teacher conference," Jenna responds before walking towards the hallway mirror. "Hair up or down?" she asks the girls, holding her hair up and turning to them.

"Sexy stewardess," Luca comments jokingly. Jenna drops her hair.

"Boozy housewife," Elena adds giggling.

Jenna scoffs. "Up it is," She says, making the girls laugh. "You're feisty today," Jenna comments on Elena's improved mood and Luca smiles.

Two little words... Stefan. Salvatore.

"I feel good, which is rare so I've decided to go with it," Elena says smiling.

Luca pushes off of the wall she was leaning on. "Do you twinnie, fly free! Walk on sunshine!" she says dramatically.

Elena laughs, "Will do, Lu." she says before walking past Jenna, looking into Jeremy's room. "Where is Jeremy?" Elena asks Jenna a little worried.

"He left early, something about getting to wood shop early to finish a birdhouse," Jenna explains, pushing her hair up.

Luca looks confused and Jenna see's her face in the mirror. "There is no wood shop. Is there?" It was a question but she already knew the answer.

Luca gently shakes her head and Elena says no. They all knew Jenna was trying her hardest and Jeremy was not making it any easier.

Jenna sighs "Yeah."

♔♔♔

"Originally discovered nearly 5 centuries ago," Mr. Tanner lectures and Luca watches as Stefan and Elena stare lovingly at each other. Obviously not paying attention. "It hasn't been over Mystic Falls in over 145 years. Now, the comet will be its brightest right after dusk during tomorrow's celebration."

Mr. Tanner notices the two not paying attention and decides to say something. "Are we bothering you, Mr. Salvatore?" he asks and the two look up, "Ms. Gilbert?"

Elena shakes her head at him, and the bell rings. The three gather their things and walk down the hallway to their next class.

"I brought it. Told you," Stefan says to Elena, holding out a book. Luca internally sighs, she hates third wheeling but it's better than being by herself.

"Wuthering Heights by Ellis Bell. You know I can't believe she didn't use her real name," Elena says astonished.

"All the Bronte Sisters used Pseudonyms. Female writers weren't really accepted then," Luca explains finally having something she could add to the conversation. Stefan looks at Luca a little impressed, her knowledge of history and historical events was vast for someone so young.

"Where did you get it," Elena asks curiously.

"Uh. It was passed down. Through the Family," Stefan says but Luca wasn't convinced. "I have lots of books. Go ahead. Keep it," Stefan adds trying to hand her the book. The three all stop and stand in the hallway.

"Oh, no. I--," Elena pauses and looks down at the book. "But I would like to read it again," She looks up at Stefan who chuckled lightly, amused.

"I promised I'll give it back," Elena says stubbornly to Stefan as she lightly takes the book from his hands smiling.