To Mourn

"You wanna know something Red?"

Pamela looked up from the file in front of her.
"What is it?"

Harley leaned back in her chair. Her arms no longer held in a straight jacket but cuffed to her sides instead.  "I wanted to be a nurse."

Pamela arched an eyebrow. 
"Really? Why?"

Harley shrugged.  "I wanted to work with the babies. Hold em. Cuddle em.  Make sure someone was with them."

"Are you fond of children?"

"Kids? Yeah I love them. Silly critters ain't they?" Harley bit her lower lip.

Pam noticed the shift in her demeanour. Her   high energy dropping.  Unpleasant memories.

"I had a kid." Harley admitted quietly. Genuine raw emotion curled around her words. Her face was downcast and her eyes blinked rapidly.

"Had? Did she pass?"

Harley sniffed. "No- she's still around. Lives with my sister upsate. Got her out of Gotham as soon as possible."

"How old is she?"

Harley turned her head. Her eyes blinking rapidly and her hands turning in the cuffs.
"She's uh four. Five in December." Harley laughed forced. "She was my Christmas present. My little Lucy."

Pamela leaned back in her chair listening to the woman spill her heart.

"I couldn't keep her. What kinda mom would I be if I let her see what I was? What I  do?" Harley shook her head. "Not that it matters. I ain't her momma anyways. I see her twice a year if I'm lucky."

"I am terribly sorry Harley."

"I don't need your sympathy Red." Harley sniffed. "They were my actions. I coulda cleaned up my act."

"Would you clean up your act now? For Lucy?"

"I dunno Doc. I got it pretty sweet." There she was. "Got a sweet padded room. A sexy therapist and I get fed three times a day? Whew that's the life."

Pamela just stared at her.

"I don't know if I can. I think my brain is broken." Harley whispered more to herself.

"Anything is possible Harleen."