11 Confrontation

After dinner, Austin and I left the dining hall. It was around seven o'clock so I wasn't expecting to leave the house.

I went into my room and quickly put on a light lipgloss. I didn't need makeup, and so I quickly out on a red dress and black heels.

A knock sounded from my room so I quickly ran out of my closet to open the door.

No one was there.

Confused, I started to make my way to the bed when I heard the knock again - this time, I heard it more clearly. It was coming from the window. Startled, I slowly crept to the window and moved the curtain back.

I jumped when I realized who it was - Dmitri.

Instead of opening the window, I started to run to the bedroom door when I suddenly heard his ice cold voice.

"No point in running. I'm already in."

I spun on my heels and nearly tripped. Dmitri. Sitting. On. My. Bed.

"Wh-why are you here?"

"You tell me," he said, crossing his arms and giving me a pointed glare.

I remembered his last weds to me which were, "I'll have to kill you if you don't leave, and yes, that's a threat" at the party. A shiver ran down my spine at the memory.

"I can't go back to the human world," I said, running a hand through my long brown hair.

"And why not?" He asked, raising his dark eyebrows. "Shouldn't you want to go back to your family?"

"I... want to, yes. But - "

"Then," he asked, cutting me off, "Go. Austin has no power over you."

I looked down and tried to choose my next words carefully. He wanted me to leave. For good. But I wanted to leave but stay with Austin in the human world.

"Speak, human."

"My name is Scarlet," I spat, turning towards the door. "I'm getting Austin."

"No!" He yelled, instantly blocking the door. "You never said why you can't leave," Dnitri continued in a quiet voice. "Tell me that and you can go."

I suddenly realized how close he was to me since he was blocking the door and I was a foot away from the door. I couldn't help but realize his dark hair against his ghostly skin was actually quite charming and beautiful. His usual dark eyes were a bright orange right now and his t-shirt which hugged his chest snugly made him look much better. Realizing I'd been staring for too long, I looked down and collected my thoughts.

"I asked Austin a few days ago if we could go back to my world. He said he couldn't risk me running away from him as soon as I got the chance. I... I don't even know how to get back home on my own," I started to explain and realized tears were streaming down my face.

Dmitri just stood there, staring at me. I began to fidget until an idea sprang to my mind.

"I answered your questions," I told him, squaring my shoulders and wiping the tears, which had began and stopped flowing quickly. "Could you answer one of mine?"

His glare turned into a smirk. "I'm sure I could answer one of your human questions."

"Okay well," I started, "why do you hate humans so much?"

In a flash, his eyes turned from orange to a deep rep. I couldn't read his expression except that he was angry. I realized something must have happened to make him despise humans so much. He shoved past me and started towards the window.

It came to my attention that it was open this whole time and my room was now cold. Or maybe the coldness came from the aura surrounding Dmitri.

"I'm asking you to do one thing, Scarlet," He said, turning towards me. His eyes were now pale but something in his face has changed. He seemed ... to be pleading, begging even. "Just go. Tell him you don't love him or I don't lnow, convince him somehow. Because I'm telling you," He took two steps closer to me and my breath caught in my throat. He still frightened me and O was afraid that I'd been around this vampire for too long. "I'm telling you, I could rip you to shreds at this very moment. This. Very. Moment. Bur you know why I'm sparing you?"

I took a shaky breath. His eyes dared me to answer. "Why are you sparing me, Dmitri?" I asked, whispering.

"For Austin's sake. That's why." He finally moved back and gave me some space. "He's a good friend. I don't want him hurt by a human and -"

I cut him off, surprised by his response. "Excuse me! I'm going to hurt him? You guys are the vampires!!!"

He barked out a laugh. "I didn't mean you could physically hurt us" he said smirking in my direction. The smirk was there for a second before he turned serious again. "I meant emotionally. Your race is unreliable and foolish. Especially you women. You fall for men but can't be loyal for more than a bit." my eyes bulged at his accusation! This was absurd! "Whose to say you won't break his heart?" He asked, glaring at me.

"Whose to say I will? You? a guy who hates humans even though he hasn't even tried to like one?!" I yelled.

His eyes flashed red for a second. "You know NOTHING about me," He said taking a step closer an almost leaping on me. "Nothing!" He spat the last word.

Panting, he turned to the window and leapt out of it. I quickly went to lock it and reminded myself to attach more locks.

I ran to my door and gasped.

Standing there, eyes ablaze, was Austin.

And he was angry.