Second Chances

Alyssa stirs when she feels the other side of her bed dip behind her. She hears the softest voice she's ever known and she immediately tackles her for an embrace and continues dozing off to sleep. "C'mon, Ly. Wake up. It's a Friday night. You shouldn't be sulking in your dorm room all evening."

Alyssa isn't used to Dennise being the pushy, outgoing one. Between the two of them, she was always the one who insisted to hang out. What Alyssa isn't aware of is that Dennise knows what just happened to her. Alyssa, with her face still stuck on Den's neck, mumbles "I don't want to leave, Den. I want to stay in bed."

Dennise knows Alyssa all too well. She felt that there was something wrong so she drove for an hour just to see her. "No, Ly. I won't take no for an answer so get your ass up and get dressed."

Alyssa knew there is nothing she can do. Besides, Dennise have always been the boss of her. So she stood up, went to her comfort room to wash up. "I'll wait for you outside, okay? I promised Mang Mario I'd only be here for ten minutes. I don't want to get him into trouble." The guard has become their friend since he always helped sneak Dennise in Alyssa's dorm even after curfew.

While dressing up and while waiting for the other, they were both wondering how they have gotten where they were when just a month ago they barely even talked to each other. They hadn't gone out with just each other for the past six years yet here they are now.

Den sits on the hood of her Camry at the parking lot of Alyssa's dorm when the other girl walked out wearing her favorite leather jacket & classic Dr. Marten's boots and lights a cigarette in true greaser fashion. She always hated her smoking. But she loves her enigmatic charm and how it always complimented her rugged good looks.

"Den, stop staring." Alyssa calls out and she just smirks at her in faint confidence. Alyssa puffs the last bit of her cigarette and trampled on it. They hop in Den's car and she drives to their favorite spot, Filling Station.

"So, tell me what happened. And don't you dare miss a detail. I would know." Dennise says as soon as the waitress left their booth. It's worth getting lost into how Alyssa fit perfectly in this place. With the vintage vibe and all the 60's and 70's memorabilia, Alyssa's leather jacket stands out in contrast against the red upholstery of the booth.

Alyssa sighs because she knows she can't escape the moment she's been trying to dodge for the past two weeks. "We broke up."

"That's it?"

"She called to tell me she wasn't in love with me anymore. She no longer looked for me in a crowded room. Her heart didn't ache for me anymore. After so long, Rachel finally fell out of love."

"What did you do then?"

"I asked her to see me for one last time."

Dennise couldn't help but smack her in the head in annoyance. "You stupid piece of shit. You know that will only hurt you more."

"I needed that Den. I begged her to pretend she was still in love with me. At least I knew that it was the last time I will ever get to share something with her. She agreed and told me to come over her apartment."

Another smack in the head. "You fucked her didn't you?!"

"We watched her favorite movie and I had started crying so she pulled me in and let me cuddle close. I was sobbing uncontrollably so she kissed me on my forehead and by the end of it we were already all over each other. To be honest, it confused me. She said she wasn't in love with me anymore but she held me with so much warmth and gentleness. So I let her."