Happy Birthday

It's 3 AM and by now everyone is already fast asleep after the long night we just had. It's a fucking mess out here and I have to clean up before Dennise gets up. It has been a good day and I don't want to stress her out.

I am very very drunk but I am doing my best to pick up the empty bottles and put them in one corner, collect the trash lying around, and at least put the dirty dishes on the sink.

Ly, wake up and move to my room. I know you're tired.

I open my eyes and start to panic. Dennise is up and I don't know if I finished cleaning up.

Shit. What time is it?

It's 5 AM Ly. Please let's get some more sleep.

I look around and the place is still a mess.

C'mon, don't worry about all these. I know you're tired because you did everything around here yesterday. Get changed and let's get some rest.

I then noticed that I'm still wearing the clothes I was wearing at her party last night. I look at Dennise all tired and drunk and sleepy but she still looked so beautiful despite it all.

----------

It's a little after lunch and things are almost tucked back away and it's tidy again. As usual, Alyssa comes to the rescue.

Hey, Ly. Come here. You've been running around working all day and night since yesterday. Come snuggle with me. How 'bout that?

I watch her walk towards the living room from my kitchen. I scoot over so that she can have the space closest to the arm rest and I can lean on her.

Wait. I have something for you.

She runs to the cabinet under the TV and pulls out a nicely wrapped box.

Happy birthday, Den.

I hastily open the box and inside is one of those moon lamps. I have always wanted one of these. Ly always pays attention to the little things.

Thank you, Ly. I love you.

I love you. This might be the last time I'm saying that.

There's something I want to tell you. Ly and I both say at the same time.

Okay. You go first. She smiles at me and waits in silence for what I have to say.

It was the most unromantic thing because we were a little tipsy but we were laughing over something inconsequential and LA pulled out a ring and a bouquet of tulips. He asked me to marry him. I said yes.

But. But you don't like tulips?

Fuck. This might be it.

The doorbell rings and Ly gets up in defeat.

She walks back in, pain--anger, almost-- obvious in her eyes, with a beautiful bouquet of Carnations in her hands. Carnations.

Here. I'm sorry I'm a tad bit late. And I'm sorry it took me 10 years.