Happy Birthday 2

Ikaw at Ako by Johnoy Danao plays as Dennise walks down the aisle with a bunch of flowers clasped between her hands.

Everyone is in tears. Who wouldn't be? Dennise, in her white wedding gown, is regal and radiant as ever.

You can fool everyone but not me, Alyssa. Synjin elbows me on my side. He knows. Of course he does. Among all our friends he's the one who always saw through me when it comes to Dennise.

It fucking sucks, Synj. It sucks so bad.

Ly, I'm sorry but you can't be this upset when you didn't even try telling her.

You know, the thing is I did. But it was too late.

------

Carnations.

Here. I'm sorry I'm a tad bit late. And I'm sorry it took me 10 years.

Fuck. Fuck. I feel like I would spontaneously combust.

Ly. No. No. Please don't look at me like that. Come here. Please.

I start to feel the panic build up inside me. I pace back and forth behind the sofa as I see the past decade with Dennise flash before my eyes. 10 years. Fuck, Alyssa! It took you ten fucking years!

Ly. Please calm down and sit. Come here.

Dennise taps the space beside her on the couch and I sit next to her, my knees shaking and my heart physically hurting.

Remember in high school you told me whoever gives you Carnations you think deserves a chance.

That was years ago, Ly. I don't even rememeber saying that until now. It's true, I like Carnations. But when Tulips come and they're kind and patient and beautiful, you let them have their chance. You see, Ly, LA's been asking me to marry him for two years now but it took me so long to answer because I was waiting for you to say something but you didn't.

I am now, right? I'm in love with you, Den. I always have been.

That's the thing, love. You're just a few hours behind. LA asked me again last night and I thought he's been waiting on this for two years and I'm holding him back because I'm waiting for something that I'm not even sure would happen. He was certain about how he felt and he always made me remember that everyday so maybe, just maybe, he deserves it. Maybe I do to. So I said yes.

I fall onto Den's lap in a fetus curl and I sob feeling my world cave in on me. Everything hurts.

I'm sorry, Ly. I really am.

I'm sorry too, Den. I'm sorry it took me so long and I'm sorry I'm late. I inhale and let Den hold me for a while. I love you, My Sunshine. Always remember that. You might be with someone else but you will always be my bestfriend and you will always be the love of my life. You can call me at 3AM 50 years from now and I will come running to you.

I know, Ly. I know. I love you too. Always.

Den just holds me for the rest of the afternoon as we watch TV with her favorite blanket over us until she fell asleep, probably still tired from yesterday.

I look at her face for as long as I can because I know that when she wakes up and it's time for me to leave, everything changes.

FIN.