Chapter 6 (Charlotte)

Maaaay....kaaaaaay! Mickey-Mickey-Maaaaaaay kaaaay

An angry toddler flailed his arms in his high chair tossing green beans and mashed potatoes everywhere. I cradled my throbbing head and watched. My brilliant plan had backfired. That was for sure. I probably needed to scold him, tell him that wasn't the way we acted at the dinner table. That was what a good mother would have done.

"Auggie," I was almost shouting over the loud crying, "Mickey missed his friends at the North Pole."

Auggie brushed a hand over his wet cheek smearing smashed potatoes over his already snotty face, "Why not him stay?" He sobbed.

I blew out a breath, "I don't know sweetie. Maybe we'll get a new dog." It wasn't part of my plan for us, but I didn't have to rule out a dog forever. Maybe when I could get a better job, find a bigger house...my mind kept taking me some place far away from Silver Springs. Still a beautiful small town, with friendly neighborly people, but not Silver Springs. Not that I had anything against Silver Springs, it was a small town where everyone knew everyone, but there was something in the underlying energy of it I hated. People weren't as neighborly. Everyone had something to hide.

I knock at the door pulled me out of my thoughts. As soon as I stood Auggie's arms went up pleadingly. I pulled Auggie against my hip. One the way to the door I pulled a random towel out of the laundry basket on the couch, quickly caught Auggie's face cleaning away the mess. I peeked out of the small hole and noticed the side of a familiar man's face. My heart tensed and I second guessed whether I should have opened the door. He knocked again.

"Charlotte, I know your home," Spencer said, "Your car's here."

I considered the idea of continuing the charade, but he knew there was no place in walking distance of my house. I could have possibly went to bed early. I pulled the door open and was greeted by the back of his clack and white stripped shirt.

"What is it Spencer?" I growled.

A moment later, I really wish I would have never opened the door or at least left Auggie in his high chair because before I could blink Mickey came barreling out of Spencer's car as Auggie flailed his arms with glee, and tried to wiggle from my grasp. I pulled him to me as the dog ran up the stairs and put his front paws on the screen licking it.

"You've got to be kidding me."

"Mickey. Mickey. 'Mitter 'Pencer brought Mickey back," Auggie sang, "Tanks Mitter 'Pencer." Auggie finally slipped out of my arms and opened the door, where he was attacked with dog kisses.

"It was my pleasure, little man."

I had to admit, the sound of Auggie's giggles were weighing on my heart, but I looked up at Spencer making sure my expression showed him how angry I was. I pushed open the door as Auggie lead Mickey outside. Mickey sat for a moment waiting for his playmate to slip out of the door and dart toward the front lawn, and Mickey followed in step with Auggie's small legs.

"It was like those two were made for each other," Spencer smiled. His expression changed when he looked at me. He noticed my frown, " What? He's in great health, and has an excellent temperament. Who ever he belonged to before, I can tell he was loved."

"You're the veterinarian" I snapped, "you keep him."

Spencer shook his head, "Huey and Luey would maul him."

"So get rid of the cats." I huffed,"Dogs are a man's best friend."

"Asking me to get rid of my cats for a dog is like asking you to give up Auggie for a dog."

I shook my head, "It's not the same thing."

"But you know what I mean," He said.

I knew, but it still got under my skin, "Why did you bring him in the first place?"

Spencer chuckled, "Look, I didn't bring him 'in the first place. I swear. Maybe it was some person that could no longer take care of him, and thought he'd be happy here." He looked out into the yard at the toddler and the lively dog running around in the yard, "He'd happy, Auggie's happy. Isn't that what matters?" He looked back at me condemning.

I felt my nostrils flare, "If I wanted another mouth to feed I would have gotten my own dog."

Spencer sighed, "It's probably God's will. I'd say just try it out, and if it doesn't work. I find him a home myself." He stepped closer and circled a hand around my wrist gently, "Auggie deserves to smile." He said softly, "And so do you." His eyes looked more intently into mine.

I had to look away, "Alright, the stupid mutt can stay. But if he's a problem, I'm dropping him off."

"Fair enough." He raised his hands in surrender backing toward his car, "See you around."

With that, he left.

That night, after I'd tucked Auggie in, Mickey curled up near the back door on the large pillow left buy whomever had him before, I took the cordless phone and rested on the couch and called Kevin.

"Hey Honey."

"Hey, Kev. Sorry, it's so late."

"It's fine," He said, "What's wrong?"

I smiled appreciating how well he knew me, "I'm fine, just a rough night." Then I remembered Eric;s car coming in to the diner as I was pulling out. It was possible Kevin had a pretty bad night too.

"What happened?"

"Spencer." I huffed. I filled Kevin in on what happened with Spencer and the dog.

"So if Spencer didn't give you the dog who did?" Kevin asked.

"I don't know."

"What about the guy you went out with Christmas Eve."

I yawned, "I don't think so." Then I thought, "I mean, maybe he was traveling with him and" I huffed, "I don't know."

"He stopped by today."

I sat up, "Who?"

"Your friend. A tall sexy lumberjack."

My face pulled into a big smile. "You're messing with me."

"No. He asked about you."

"What did you say."

"You wouldn't be at work till Monday."

I was surprised he didn't come by. Tonya gave him the address, and he knew where I lived.

"I think he was put off by Eric though."

"So that was Eric? Kevin I'm sorry."

"Don't worry. Eric is all bark and no bite. I can handle myself."

I'd gotten off of the phone with Kevin and went to bed. Thankfully, I didn't have to work but I had church which was sometimes just as bad. Some wondered why I even went. There was a part of me that wondered as well. I was a single mother, and always felt judged and shunned by everyone. I had no real friends, and never got asked to host any home Bible studies. I hardly got asked to do anything outside of church, just the soup kitchen when staffing was short. I couldn't really talk to anyone. It wasn't like I could tell anyone else the truth, about me or Auggie. I guess, I just needed something familiar, that reminded me of home. I never missed a Sunday at home in Brent, North Carolina. My father wouldn't have it. He'd never waiver on that, so I wouldn't with Auggie.