Chapter 10 (Charlotte)

Charlotte

“Girl, you better go back in that room and put on something slutty” Tonya teased cradling a goblet of red wine sitting on the couch next to Kevin.

I looked down at my plain grey t-shirt and jeans and puckered my lips teasingly at Tonya and laughed it off. I went into the kitchen and grabbed the tupperware dish off of the counter, and then came back into the living room and grabbed my jacket that was draped over my cushy chair. “You guys, keep it down. Auggie’s still trying to sleep. I shouldn’t be out for too long.”

“Girl,” Kevin tossed a hand toward me, “Stay out all night. Have fun.”

“You need some protection? I think I have some in my purse.”

Kevin and Tonya tittered like school girls. I rolled my eyes and went toward the door. “I can’t with, ya’ll.”  I left the house and headed toward my car. As my sneakers pushed against the unstable gravel, I heard the sound of steps behind me. I turned fully expecting Tonya with a handful of condoms, I released a soothing breath seeing Kevin towering over me with his genuine wide brown eyes filled with concern.

“So, what’s really going on?”

I sighed, frustrated that Kevin knew me so well. “I just need us to be even, so I can cut this off.”

“Why are you so scared of falling for this guy? He seems nice enough.”

“For a guy that works for Mateo?”

Kevin’s eyes widened, but he pulled his lips together in an attempt at a poker face. He crossed his arms over his broad chest and shrugged, “So.”

“You know all the guys Mateo hires, have pasts.”

“We all have pasts.”  He flapped his hand out, “There is nothing wrong with a past.”

I shook my head, “Well, I can’t afford that type of uncertainty. For all I know he could be married, or be on the run from the mob.”

“Who is saying you need to make him a long term thing? You both are young. What’s one night?”

I laughed, “Now you’re sounding like Tonya.” That was rare, the two hardly agreed on anything, especially when it came to meddling in my personal life.

“So we agree he’s hot, and you have chemistry.”  He smirked biting his lip, “You don’t have to play church girl all the time. I know it’s an act. I know about the fox. Let her out to prown for one night.”

I couldn’t fight the smile that was spreading across my face, “Under any normal circumstance I would. but--”

“But what?”

“I am a mom, Kev.”

“So.” He shrugged.

“I don’t want Auggie to be one of those kids, ‘uncles’ that come in and out of his life.” I did figure quotes.

“My grandmother had a lot of ‘uncles’ around. A lot of them were sexy as hell,  that’s how I realized I had a healthy homosexual appetite.” He bit his tongue wiggling his eyebrows.

I rolled my eyes and laughed with Kevin, “Comforting, Kev. Real comforting. ”

“All I’m saying is live your life,” He said softly raising his hands in surrender. His face grew serious. “Live while your young. I know you won’t about Auggie, but you have to take care of you too.”

I sighed, “I will. Not now. But I will.”

He rested his hands on my shoulders, “If not now when, Char?”

My eyes fell to the gravel and I shrugged, “Eventually.” I looked up him, “I have to get going.”

“You sure you don’t want me to go with you?”

“No,” I grabbed Kevin’s large arm, “I can handle this.” I looked back at the house, “Make sure Tonya doesn’t drink all of my good wine.”

Kevin chuckled, “Okay. I’ll take her drunk behind home when you get back. You don’t worry about anything.”

I hugged Kevin and got into my car. Times like this, I was grateful that no matter what, I had amazing friends. Kevin was right, but I didn’t know where to start focusing on myself. I wondered if I just needed to start having a girls night like we used to before. If I could find a sitter, it would have been a nice distraction from everything. I pushed the thought away to revisit later as I pulled out of my driveway. I needed to figure out a nice way to tell Kyle to stay away. Cause that worked so well for Spencer, I snarked to myself.