Chapter 11 (Kyle)

I made my way down the winding dirt path through the woods that lead to Moonshines, there was a knot in my stomach.

I pulled into the withered parking lot, it took all my willpower not to turn the car around and take Charlotte up on the dinner invitation for another chance to get to know her and Auggie. I still wanted to know more about them and spend more time with them, but her showing up to bring me lunch, was the proof I had a job. It made Kyle more legitimate.

There were only a few cars in the parking lot.  Moonshines hadn't opened yet so I made my way inside trying to rehearse in my head how I would ask Mateo to give me a break when she arrived.

I pushed through the glass door leading into the empty bar. The place was decorated like an old run down cabin in the woods, even down to the dusty fireplace in the corner with the beady eyed buck looking over the room. There was a small stage in the corner big enough for one person, that was probably only good for a karaoke stage, but it reminded me of the early places the band used to play.

I felt a twist in my chest. I missed the guys. I missed the stage, and most of all I missed the studio. I normally left the writing to Zeke, but I'd been feeling inspired. I thought back to the toy store, and the few tiny instruments, including a drum set I almost bought Auggie. I wondered if he would ever find out who I really was when he was older. I wondered if he would track me down. What if he became a rockstar, or a drummer. I didn’t know how I felt about it. I knew Charlotte would have saw to it he was a million times a better man than me.

"Damn man, you're back for more torture?" a voice pulled me out of my thoughts. I looked up noticing a dark skinned guy with dreads. He wore a jean jacket over a tank top and he was about an inch shorter than me "I'm Marcus by the way" He tilted his head up.

"Kyle." I smiled, "Where is he?"

He chuckled deeply, "Mr. Friendly is in his office."

"Thanks." I said, "What's his deal, man?"

"Mateo just liked things the way he likes things.: Marcus shrugged, “You just got to be as invisible as possible. They told me that when I got here."

I had to laugh, "I wish someone would have told me." I said walking toward the back of bar, "Thanks Marcus."

Walking through the narrow corridor, already saw that the door at the end of the hall was cracked open. I heard a woman;s fluttery giggle and reconsidered, but I knew that I needed to make sure I got a break when Charlotte got here.

I knocked on the door before I walked in when I noticed a woman with a black leather skirt bent over Mateo's desk. I subconsciously licked my lips. She turned and it was the woman with the pale skin and long stringy black hair that I'd seen yesterday.

"Something you need Lucy?" I thought he was talking to the woman until I saw his eyes were focused on me and his big tattooed arms were crossed over his chest as he stood behind his desk.

"Um..."

"You interrupted and now you're tongue tied smart ass."

"Matty."

His eyes narrowed at the dark haired woman, and she looked at me with a warm smile. Her eyes were thick with eyeliner but she had no lipstick, there was something about the green hue of her eyes that seemed to make her look like some sort of gothic biker goddess.

"I'm sorry." I recoiled.

"What do you need, honey?" She said as Mateo said something I couldn’t hear.

"I...um...I need a break.” My voice stammered more than I had had expected. I wasn’t normally this nervous, but even  had to admit Mateo was an intimidating guy.