Chapter 19 Kyle

I felt lower than dirt. This wasn't what I came here for. I was here to help her, not create more problems. Me becoming her obligations was the last thing I wanted to do. I wondered if I should have just taken my chances at Ms. Beverly's. The plan was already to send Ms. Beverly enough money to buy seven more of her Bed and Breakfasts. Tyson was right. I should have just walked away and left a check.

I pushed the back of my head against the soft cushy pillow of Charlotte's bed. I didn't want to soak in the comfort too much knowing Charlotte was uncomfortable on the couch. Everything in me wanted to push against the pain, pick her up and out her in her own bed. I didn't belong here. I looked around the room. There was a dresser against the wall with all of her feminine things. I was in a place that I didn't belong.

I didn't know how long I had been up when I had heard the door click. I was too groggy to open my eyes until it had slowly creaked open. I slightly opened my eyes but didn't see anyone. I could have sworn I heard small squeaks of the floor and then a moment later the television came on. Either this place was haunted, Charlotte had big mice that got bored easily. A few clicks and I was looking at the top half of a black and white cartoon with the sound barely on. I sat up and saw the little silhouette in front of the TV.

"Hey little mouse." I whispered.

Auggie turned to look at me and his eyes were wide. I almost wanted to laugh. "It's okay, Buddy," I whispered, "I'm not going to tell." He looked back at the screen and then back at me still unsure, "What are you watching there?"

"Dundercats."

I tried to hold in a snicker, "That looks like a good show. You watch it a lot while you're mom's a sleep."

"Uh huh?"

I sat up and watched it with him. I didn't remember dozing off but the next time I woke up. I opened my eyes and the TV was off and Auggie wasn't in front of the TV. I nodded off again, and heard Charlotte. It sounded like her usual morning routine trying to get Auggie out of bed. The kid was probably groggy from the late night cartoons. I smiled as I nodded off again. I wasn't sure what I was dreaming about, but I hadn't expected to wake up to wet dog kisses.

I had to chuckle as I sat up. The dog chased his tail and barked happily. I laughed, again, "Hey Boy." He brought his head to the edge of the bed and I scratched the long white and gray fur, "I remember you. You taking care of my friends?" I carefully found the collar and read the name. "Mickey." I laughed to myself again, "That has Aug-man written all over it." I noticed a light blue post it note on the night stand. "Aw Char, we're at the post it not stage in our relationship?" I laughed to myself as I read it out loud, "Help yourself to anything in the kitchen. Will bring you something for lunch." I flapped it as it stuck to my finger. "She's something isn't she?" I looked at Mickey. He cocked his head, "She's a good person, and she deserves," I looked around her room, "So much more than this."

I stood and maneuvered over to my crutches bypassing my wheel chair, but by the time I had made it to the middle of the living room, I regretted it. I searched the cabinets and settled for a bowl of cereal for breakfast. It was good enough for when I was on tour, it was good enough in rehab, so it was good enough now. I noticed a highlighter green note on the fridge that read. "Please let Mickey out when he scratches the door." I looked at Mickey. "Already house trained? Kudos Charlotte." I sat at the small wooden table and I enjoyed a bowl of cocoa spheres. All I could really do was think. I thought about my life, and my brother, but somehow my mind drifted back to Auggie. That kid was something. I wanted to give him the world. I wanted Charlotte to have the world not just to give to Auggie, but because she deserved it. Even if I had to go out into the world and find the perfect guy to be her husband and Auggie's father.

The thought of finding a guy for Char made me feel awkward, but there was no denying the loneliness that possessed Char and Auggie was eager for a father. I had no doubts Charlotte could do it on her own, but I knew it was when they wanted.

The phone pulled me out of my thoughts. It was an old phone that hung by the back door. I hadn't seen one of those in years. I carefully got up and went over to it and picked it up surprised it still rang.

"Kyle's Pizza Parlor."

"Cute," She said, "I was checking on you."

"That's sweet of you."

"Well, I can't stay on for long, I was just trying to ask what you wanted for lunch."

"Surprise me."

I heard a sharp breath, "Fine Kyle, have it your way I have to go."

"See you when you get here, Babe."

"Bye Kyle." She said.

I decided to take a shower so I rinsed my bowl and set it in the drying rack, then I headed to back to the room.

I picked up some clothes, when into the bathroom and carefully tried to reach for the faucet handles. It was hard maneuvering with the crutches but I turned it on. Taking off my clothes was a different story. Before I could so anything the door flung open and in flew Mickey I tried to avoid him, but I slipped and toppled over him. I caught my breath and before I knew it my legs were up in the bathtub and I was being drenched with water.