Chapter 16 ("Kyle")

My body felt like it had been set on fire, like a million hot needles pushing against my flesh. I gasped for air but choked and coughed. I forced my eyes open but only made out a bright light and some blurry shapes. I gasped again in panic. Where the hell was I?

"Hey." I heard a deep voice say. All I could see was a dark silhouette move over me, my eyes were still adjusting to discover the form was a person, "Hey, man. It's okay. You're okay." I felt hands against my shoulders. I tried to calm, but the pressure against the back of my throat didn't help. "You have to calm down." the male voice said in a soothing tone. "Look at me." He said.

I drew in a slow breath that seemed to widen the back of my throat against something springy. My eyes adjusted again and I noticed the familiar face over me. His brown concerned eyes staring down at me. I then noticed the thicker beard. I remembered him with less hair on his face. My brain started to piece it all together. "Ty-" I tried to get out but there was some obstruction in my mouth.

"Shh." He said, "Don't talk." He looked away and then back at me, "I'm sorry I can't take out the breathing tube but I need to be quick. Do you recognize me?"

I nodded.

His mouth quirked into a relieved smile and he nodded, "Good. You know who you are?"

It was coming back and I nodded.

He let out a quick sigh, "Good. You know you're not who you are and you can't let anyone know who you really are."

I nodded again. I tried to speak but the tube was blocking and an odd sound came out. I wanted to ask him how long I was out for.

"Shh!" He said, "I know man you have questions." He sighed, "All I can say is you were in an accident, you were in a coma for a month and a help."

"What the--" my words muffled against the tube.

"I know. Calm down." He said. He looked over and then back at me, "I'm sorry. I can't pull you out just yet."

I let out a long breath into the tube.

"Yeah, well, " He whispered lower, "unfortunately, your accident gave your buddy Kyle a paper trail. We need to ride this one out."

"How long?" The words came out in a two-syllable moan.

"Until you heal." he let out a short chuckle, "You go back to your old life like this, there is too many questions."

I groaned.

He chuckled again, "I know man. Just lay low, do whatever rehabilitation you need and I'll be back for you in a few weeks."

I let out a breath and gave a surrendering nod.

"I'm glad you're okay," Tyson smiled, "Even more glad that you woke up while I was here."

That was when I noticed the gray jumpsuit. He was dressed as a janitor. I would have given him a hard time, but then again, he'd stuck his neck out for me a lot. I owed him a lot more than I was paying him, and I was paying him a lot.

"You hold it together in here," Tyson said, "Don't forget Kyle is a married man."

I looked at him. Did I miss something?

Tyson chuckled, "Yeah, your girl has been at your bedside."

An odd light feeling coated my gut and tense my chest. "Seriously?" I said muffled in the tube.

Tyson nodded. "Well, See you around." Before Tyson left he pressed the small red button on the bed next to me and took off. Moments after he left a couple of nurses and a doctor flooded in the room. I was thankful that they took the tube out of my throat. They started asking me questions about who I was. I was Kyle Matthews, Charlotte was my wife, and Auggie was my son. That seemed to check out and they let me rest while they called my family.