Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

The woman was terrified. She tried not to show it, but he saw the fear in her eyes as she glanced at the phone, and then at him again.

His head throbbed. His chest hurt. The wound from the Kursed’s spear hadn’t quite healed yet. It took longer when he disguised himself, and for the past few weeks, he’d managed to convince most of Asgard, including his brother, Thor, that he was dead. Why, Odin himself even publicly mourned Loki's death. That Loki was the one masquerading as Odin mattered not.

But, while he’d been safe in the Asgardian dungeons, he was not so safe outside of them. There was a price on his head. A steep price. And that meant Odin had to revert back to his true form and make a quick exit from Asgard.

The true Odin would have no memory of what happened. No one would dare question why he didn’t remember this, or that, and since even Thor was convinced Loki died with honor, everything would remain evenly keeled. As long as Loki remained outside of Asgard.

Trouble was, he had the feeling he’d landed in the wrong realm. This woman looked like a Midgardian. A short Midgardian, but one just the same.

She stared at him now, with that fearful look he knew all too well. The one that meant he would remain firmly in control. Which was exactly what he needed. Control.

“I’ll not ask again,” he told her, bracing a hand on a low table to steady himself as he stood. His legs were a little shaky, but he’d be damned if he’d show any sign of weakness. This woman—this Midgardian woman—would help him. She just didn’t know it yet.

“It’s…” Her voice wavered but she cleared her throat and started over, “it’s Brunswick. New Jersey. I guess it’s the Earth realm?”

She eyed a rectangular piece of black plastic again, so with a wave of his left hand, Loki swept the item from the counter into his grip. “You don’t need this.”

“How did you get in here?”

He set the box on the table at his knee. “You don’t need to know that, either.”

“My boyfriend is asleep,” she gestured with one hand down a shadowy hallway, “just down there and he will kick your ass. All I have to do is scream.”

“Really? I think you’re lying.” His right knee ached as he took a step toward her. The battle on Svartalfheim, so close on the heels to the humiliating pounding he’d taken at the hands of the Hulk in New York, left him with various aches and pains in equally various stages of healing. Normally, he was a quick healer, but so many injuries at one time? It was going to take a little longer still.

He rubbed his forehead with one hand. Everything would be so much simpler if it just fell into place the way it was supposed to fall. If that oaf, Thor, had just stayed here and not returned to Asgard to ruin everything…

No sense in lingering in the past, he supposed, even if that past was now the reason why he was on the run, like some common criminal.

He lowered his hand to find her still staring at him. “Well? Where is this boyfriend of your threats?”

“He’s… a heavy sleeper.” She hedged.

She lied. He knew it and what was more, she knew that he knew.

But at the same time, he was too tired for threats. Threats could wait until the morning. For now? He just wanted to sit. And a drink wouldn’t be turned away, either.