Chapter Twenty-Four

The All-Hours Diner was one of McKenna's favorites and Loki's eyes practically popped from their sockets as he perused their menu. Meanwhile, McKenna sipped her water, wishing he would hurry up and choose something already.

"It's not a life-altering decision, Loki," she said, swirling her straw through the melting ice. "Please hurry up before my gut decides to eat itself."

"How is it Midgardians aren't all the size of houses, with so many things to choose from?"

"Have you seen some of them?"

"What is this?" he asked, pointing to the menu.

She smiled. "That, my dear, is a Jersey staple. Pork roll, egg, and cheese is a gift from heaven itself. Try it. You'll thank me."

He smiled. "It's that good?"

"Trust me."

The waitress came up to them. "Evening, kids, what'll it be?"

McKenna smiled across the table at Loki. "He'll try the pork roll, egg, and cheese."

"Kaiser or plain roll?"

Loki looked over at McKenna with raised eyebrows, and she smothered her laugh. "Plain roll and no ketchup."

"Got it. And what about you, hon?"

"I'll just have a scrambled egg and bacon, please."

"Right." The waitress smiled at Loki. "More coffee, sir?"

Loki bobbed his head. "Please."

"Be right back."

As she darted off, McKenna leaned across the table. "You are going to love me for this."

The waitress returned to refill his cup as he sat back and said, "I already do."

"I know. You'll love me more then."

When their food arrived, he didn't look at all impressed by the sandwich, eyeing it as if he wasn't sure if he should eat it or step on it. "This is what you thought I'd enjoy?"

"Trust me."

His long pale fingers curled about the sandwich and he lifted it for a bite. McKenna sat back, stirring her straw and just waited for his reaction.

He chewed for a long moment, and then his eyes closed and he sank back in the booth as if in the throes of absolute pleasure. For a minute, he looked exactly the same as he did when they were finished making love, he had that same blissed-out look that was usually followed by his head coming to rest on her breast as he fought to catch his breath.

"Good, isn't it?"

He nodded without opening his eyes until he swallowed. Then, he rose to lean over the table, kissed her firmly on the lips, and then settled back to finish his sandwich as she dug into her eggs.

When they finished and were outside in the cold night air, she moved to ease his jacket from her shoulders. "It's cold out, Loki."

"Keep it," he told her, gripping the back of the jacket before she could slide out of it. "I told you, I don't feel your cold the way you do."

The wind stirred, ruffling its way through his dark hair and she smiled up at him. He looked so handsome in a suit, almost as handsome as he did in his Asgardian clothes, although not nearly as menacing. Still, she couldn't resist as she stepped up to slip her arms about his waist. The coolness of his body bled through the fine suit material, but warmed as he eased an arm about her shoulders. "What brings this on?"