Chapter Eight

The next morning, McKenna woke with the strange feeling she'd been dreaming all night long. The same dream. Loki. Stretched out beside her. Holding her against him. She dreamed of the gentle caress of his lips against her neck, where it curved into her shoulder. It was all so vivid, she'd swear it really happened. She brushed her fingertips along the spot where Loki'd kissed her so nicely in her dream, as if she'd find some sort of evidence left behind.

She sat up to the sound of soft snoring, rubbing sleep from her eye with one hand. Loki lay sprawled on his back on the loveseat, one foot flat on the floor, the other resting on the loveseat's arm. A soft snore rose from the loveseat. She would have smiled at the thought of a god snoring, but she still stung too badly from what happened the night before.

She made quick work of showering and dressing, and when her phone rang, she swiped it up before it could wake Loki, although she didn't know why she cared if he woke up or not. "Shay, tell me you're here?"

"I'm here, Kenna. Down in the restaurant. You're buying me breakfast."

"I'll be down in just a sec." She disconnected and after glancing over her shoulder to see Loki still snoring away, hurried down to the restaurant where Shannon was already drinking a glass of orange juice.

She lowered the glass. "Kenna?" Her eyes narrowed. "You look like hell."

"Thanks," she replied dryly, sinking into the chair across from her. "It's been a rough few days."

"It looks like it." She lifted up the oversized carryon. "I brought you everything you needed and I grabbed your charger. I thought that might come in handy."

"Did you find Cinder?"

To her relief, Shannon nodded. "Yep. He's safe and sound in my condo. Tony's not thrilled, but he'll get over it."

"Thank you so much, Shay." Tears clouded McKenna's eyes and she scowled. She wasn't much of a crier ever, but these last few days, her emotions always seemed to end with tears. Aggravating, to say the least.

The waitress came over. "Good morning, ladies. What can I get you this morning?"

All McKenna wanted was coffee, but Shannon, in her typical style, ordered eggs, bacon, two pancakes and another orange juice. She was one of those lucky women who could eat like a horse and never gain a pound where McKenna spent hours in the gym working off a Munchkin.

The coffee arrived first and McKenna took a long sip as Shannon said, "So? What gives?"

"I don't even know how to begin, Shay. You aren't going to believe me."

"Try me." Shannon's dark eyes widened as she smiled and tossed her dark hair out of those eyes.

"Do you remember when New York was attacked a few months ago?"

"Yeah. Of course I do. I doubt anyone around here doesn't remember it."

"Well, do you remember who was responsible for it?"

"Some freak in leather named Loki. Claimed he was a god from someplace called Asgard, or something."

McKenna had to bite back defending Loki, when she would have cheerfully strangled him at the same time. "He's not a freak, Shay."

"Really? How do you know?"

"Because he's asleep upstairs in my room, on the loveseat."

"What the fuck? Get out!" Shannon started to rise from her chair. "I want to punch him for what he did."

McKenna grabbed her by the arm and held her in place, painfully aware of the stares now turned in their direction. It wasn't a large dining room, but it was large enough and her face grew hot under the weight of those stares. "Sit and you're doing nothing of the sort. He's not what you think he is. I mean, he is, but there's more to him that—"