Chapter Thirty-Three

After a delicious dinner, with equally delicious wine and the most decadent chocolate mousse she'd ever tasted, Loki linked his fingers through hers and led her down the narrow pathway they'd taken the day they went to the Sølvfoss. The moon left a silvery trail for them to follow and as they drew near the falls, she smiled. "It doesn't seem like all that long ago we were here."

He grazed the flat of her hand with his thumb. "Perhaps tomorrow we can bring Selig down here. He enjoys splashing in the tub, I imagine he'll like this just as much."

"He probably would."

The Sølvfoss looked even more beautiful by night, silvery and bright, and she was tempted to try to entice him into a swim. Maybe on the way back she would, because she also wanted to know how Shannon and Cinder were doing.

The path wound on, eventually leading to an immense stable. "Loki?"

"It's the best way to get to Heimdall," he explained. "Walking will take another hour or so."

"Is he really that far away? It didn't seem that far."

"That's because you didn't exactly walk it either time."

"I can't ride a horse in a dress."

"Do you even know how to ride?" he asked with a grin before turning to one of the boys who came running out to greet them. "Bring me a mount. Whichever one needs the exercise the most."

"Yes, actually. I do. When I was a kid, my best friend's mom worked on a farm. I learned to ride with only a halter and bridle. No saddle. No reins."

"Then you should be able to handle riding with me." Loki smiled as the stable boy returned with what had to be the biggest horse she'd ever seen. Huge and as black as the night sky.

She swallowed hard. "Yeah. I think I'll be okay with that."

Loki swung up into the saddle and the horse pranced sideways, throwing his head and letting out a snort that sounded angry. She stepped back, not so sure she wanted to be anywhere near that giant horse.

But Loki looked perfectly at ease in the saddle, as if he and the horse were one being, and he held the reins in one hand, coaxing the animal into serenity before holding out his free hand. "Come on, McKenna. Put your foot in the stirrup and climb up."

"I-I don't know."

"It will be fine." He bent toward her and caught her by the wrist. "Come on. Trust me."

"Miss Carlin, for you." The stable boy set a large wood block by her. "Step up there if it will help."

Loki's fingers were warm on her wrist and so she took a deep breath, managed to get her foot into the empty stirrup, and Loki pulled her up to settle her between his thighs in the saddle.

"This brings a few interesting thoughts to mind," he murmured, snaking his free arm about her waist and guiding the horse out of the stables.

She settled back against him as they continued down the drive, away from the stables, toward the rainbow bridge leading to Heimdall's chambers. The horse seemed to accept his riders and his gait was easy and calm now.

Loki nuzzled her. "You smell wonderful, love, do you know that?"

"My coconut shampoo. I'm not wearing any other perfume."

"Coconut, eh? I think it's become my favorite scent." His lips brushed her ear. "Aside from yours, that is."

His voice was only a whisper and she shivered from the sensuality of it. He responded by tightening his arm about her waist. As they neared Heimdall's quarters, he eased his hold on her and drew the horse to a stop. As easily as he swung up, he dismounted and caught her to ease her down as well.