Chapter Twenty-Nine

When McKenna opened her eyes again, it was morning and she was alone in the immense bed. She sat up with a wince, and turned to see Loki sitting on the wide windowsill, cradling Selig and whispering to him.

She reached for the silk robe Eir left for her at the foot of the bed, and gingerly rose, pulling it on as she did. As she neared Loki, she heard him murmur, "And cause her no trouble, little one, on this side, either. You know not what she went through to bring you into this world."

She didn't want him to know she could hear him, so she called, "Good morning," before she reached him.

He turned and smiled. "Are you supposed to be up and about?"

"I'm fine." She settled on the ledge beside him. "How long has he been awake?"

"About an hour. I hope you don't mind, I had Eir bring a bottle for him. I didn't want to disturb you."

"I don't mind. You're allowed to make decisions as well, you know." She rested her head against his solid shoulder and gazed down at Selig. The infant's eyes were opened and moving all around and he waved his little hands about. She caught one hand in hers, sliding her finger into his grasp. "Did you sleep at all?"

He nodded. "Some. I mostly spent the night looking at him. I cannot believe he is actually here."

"Neither can I," she admitted, looking up at him. "I thought we had another three months or so."

"I should have known it would be sooner. Asgardians heal faster than Midgardians, as do Jötunns. It stands to reason we reproduce more quickly as well."

"I suppose, but it still caught me by surprise." She pulled the robe a bit tighter. By the time Selig had been born, she was as big as a woman in her ninth month on Earth and she still felt huge. Radiant and wonderful, but a bit like a beached whale.

Loki, meanwhile, looked every bit as amazing as always, especially when he held his son and gazed at him with that look of absolute amazement. She bit her bottom lip as he lifted beautiful blue eyes to hers and said, "You have done something incredible, love. Do you know that? Absolutely incredible."

"I had little choice in the matter, but thank you."

He shifted Selig to his left arm and slid his right arm about her shoulders and drew her in for a kiss. His lips moved gently against hers, as if he was afraid of hurting her, so she slid her arms about his waist and pulled him into her.

Selig fussed and Loki chuckled as he pulled away, but not before nuzzling her as well and whispering, "You are in trouble when I am allowed to touch you again, love."

She shivered at the promise in his voice. "Is that so?"

"Absolutely."

She reached for Selig, who was working himself into a full-blown tantrum, his face red, his hands now wildly waving fists. "I think he might be hungry again."

On cue, Eir hustled into the room with a bottle. "Unless you prefer to try yourself, Miss Carlin."

McKenna smiled. "I'd like to, actually."

Loki cleared his throat. "Shall I leave then?"

"You don't need to," she told him, gesturing to the other blanket draped over the edge of Selig's cradle. "Just hand me that."

"Let me help you, Miss Carlin," Eir said as Loki stood to fetch the blanket in question.

"I'll be back," he said, and McKenna couldn't help but grin. He was blushing. Loki Laufeyson, God of Mischief, was actually blushing.