Chapter Twenty-Three

McKenna threaded her fingers through Loki's as they approached Callahan's, the restaurant where Tony's party was being held. Even from the parking lot, she could hear the music pulsing through the building, and when they stepped into the banquet room, the dance floor was half-filled with people dancing to Aerosmith.

Shannon and Tony were just inside the door and Shannon greeted them both with a warm embrace. "Guys! I was wondering what happened to you! What did you do? Get tangled up in the sheets?"

McKenna hugged her back. "Of course not. Just running a little late."

"Uh-huh." Shannon nodded and turned to Loki. "It's good to see you back, Loki. McKenna's been promising to bring you to the bar, but I think she kind of likes keeping you to herself these days."

"Hello, Shannon. It's good to see you again as well."

"So, bar's over there." Shannon pointed to the far back corner. "Food's over there." She pointed to the opposite corner. "And dancing is right there. Go. Everyone is dying to meet this guy. Tony, come here!"

McKenna smiled as Tony lumbered over to them. If Loki looked elegantly handsome in his suit, Tony look utterly uncomfortable in his. Still, he smiled as he clasped Loki's hand. "Hey, it's good to finally put a face with the name. Loki, right?"

Loki didn't look at all happy about shaking hands with Tony, but he merely smiled. "That's right."

"Good to meet you. You did the right thing, comin' back for her."

"Indeed."

McKenna squeezed Loki's hand gently. "Tony's the one who took care of Cinder while we were in Bay Head."

"Yeah. Crazy cat wouldn't come near me. Hissed. Spit." Tony sipped from his bottle of Sam Adams. "So, Shay tells me you can do magic?"

Loki nodded. "I can."

"Cool. Maybe if things get dull you can-"

"Tony, stop it," Shannon broke in, slipping her arm through his. "Let's let them get a drink and enjoy themselves and stop trying to rope him into being your entertainment."

Tony shrugged. "It couldn't hurt to ask, right?" He took another pull of the bottle. "Hey, you two set a date yet?"

"Not yet." McKenna glanced up at Loki. He looked outwardly calm, but she saw a muscle in his jaw twitch.

"Can I get you guys something?" Tony asked. "A beer? Wine?"

McKenna smiled. "A water would be fine."

"Water?" Shannon snorted. "What? Are you pregnant?"

Loki's fingers tightened about McKenna's as she took a deep breath and said, "Actually, yes."

"What? Get out!" Shannon's jaw dropped, her eyes shot open wide, and in a flash, she threw her arms about McKenna with enough force to knock her back half a step. "How fucking awesome! Congratulations!"

"Thank you," McKenna managed to reply as Shannon squeezed her tightly.

"Take care now," Loki broke in, catching Shannon by the arm to tug her back. "I'd rather you didn't crush her."

"Oh, God, Kenna, I'm so sorry!"

"It's okay, Shay. Really." McKenna smiled, smoothing the wrinkles from her dress as Shannon promptly threw her arms around a very shocked looking Loki.

"Congratulations, Daddy," Shannon said, kissing Loki's cheek.

"Thank you."

Shannon stepped back and Tony clasped Loki's hand again. "Congratulations and better you than me, man," he said with a boisterous laugh. "Better you than me."