Chapter Thirty-Five

Lunch with Sif wasn't quite what McKenna expected to be doing at any time during her stay in Asgard. The tall, lithe black-haired beauty made her more than a little nervous and when she was nervous, not only did she run on like a rabid squirrel on speed, but she ate anything that didn't get out of her way quickly enough.

They sat in a lovely outdoor café not far from the palace, and everyone seemed to point and stare at them from the moment they walked in and sat down. A waitress brought over a basket of assorted breads, along with sweet butter and seasoned olive oil for dipping, and McKenna dove in.

Sif took a chunk of black bread and spread it thickly with butter. "Pay them no mind. They are all curious about you. About the woman who managed to tame Loki."

McKenna dipped her piece of sourdough into the olive oil mixture. "I hate being stared at. It makes me feel like I'm on display."

"They want to know everything they can about you. There was once a time when most of them would have given their eyes to be in your shoes. And then, there are those who think you mad for trusting Loki. He evokes strong passions on both sides."

"And which camp are you in?" McKenna bit off the bread she'd dipped.

"I'm not entirely sure. I like you." Sif reached for her golden goblet and lifted it to her lips. She took a long drink, then lowered it. "You would make a fine Asgardian, if you ask me. But, when you met him, Loki was determined to rule Midgard as a god. How did you make him change his mind?"

"I didn't. At least, not consciously." McKenna peered into her own goblet. Wine. Normally she didn't drink wine so early in the day, but what the hell? "I just wanted to keep my head attached to my body."

Sif's eyes widened. "Did he threaten you?"

McKenna smiled and shook her head. "No. Not really. He sort of hinted at threatening me, but never outright came out and said he'd zap me if I didn't help him. And actually, I felt sorry for him. He was in terrible shape."

"Sorry for him?" Sif buttered a second piece of bread. "Why?"

"He'd gotten really banged up by the Hulk, and what happened on Svartalfheim. He was cut and bruised and sore and I felt bad for him." She shrugged as she took another sip of her wine. It was a red wine, but not as heavy as most. "And things just happened from there."

"You've brought about an amazing change in him, you know. I never would have even imagined the Allfather forgiving him his crimes. You do realize you are the first Midgardian he's allowed to remain here for so long. When Jane Foster was here, he couldn't wait for her to leave. But you've been here how long?"

"Two months, roughly. It's because of Selig, I'm sure. He spends almost as much time cooing over Selig's cradle as Loki does."

The waitress came back. "Are you ready, ladies?"

They were and so they ordered roast beef and roasted potatoes, along with a variety of grilled vegetables. As the waitress hurried off, McKenna took another sip of wine and lowered her cup to see Sif smiling at her. "What?"

"Selig. Another shock. And I don't know to whom it comes as a greater one? Odin, or those of us who know-or thought we knew-Loki."

McKenna sighed, brushing a stray lock of hair away from her face. "He was an accident, actually. A happy one, but definitely not planned."

"He's a beautiful baby, McKenna. And so obviously loved, no matter the circumstances of his conception."

Pride surged through McKenna and she couldn't help but smile. "I know. A very happy little accident. Although at the time, when I found out I was pregnant, I was scared shitless. I thought I was going to have to raise him alone. Loki was imprisoned, I was on Earth. But, it all worked out."