Chapter Thirty-Six

"We should probably think about going down for dinner," McKenna murmured, tracing the tip of her finger down the middle of Loki's chest.

They lay in a tangle of black sheets, facing each other. Loki's eyes were closed, but she didn't think he was asleep. That suspicion was confirmed when he trailed his left hand along her right forearm, which made her shiver. "I've no desire to move, love," he murmured, his fingers grazing back and forth over her skin. "Quite possibly ever again."

She smiled. "Selig is going to be up soon. He rarely sleeps more than two hours during the day. Never mind the rehearsal is only a few hours away."

When he didn't reply, she sighed softly and pulled away to sit up. She slid to the edge of the bed, reaching for the gray silk robe draped over the foot. As she drew it on, Loki grabbed a handful of the silk and said, "He's not awake yet."

A laugh popped out as he easily dragged her back into his arms and rolled to pin her beneath him. Gazing down at her with those beautiful blue eyes, he murmured, "We can be a little late."

"No, we can't because you know Odin will send someone looking for us. We're the guests of honor tonight, Loki. Tonight and tomorrow is all about us."

He sighed softly, leaning down until his forehead came to rest against hers. "And then they will leave us alone?"

"And then they will leave us alone. Tomorrow night, Tyra will care for Selig so we can enjoy a proper wedding night, and then we can stay just like this until the sun rises."

"I like how that sounds."

"I'm sure you do." She threaded her fingers through his silky hair, letting her fingernails stroke lightly against his scalp, smiling as he sighed and his eyes closed. "And I do, too. But for now... we have to get ready."

"Midgardian, you fight unfairly," he murmured, lifting his head as he caught the left side of her robe between his thumb and forefinger. "Tempting me the way you do, when I can do nothing more about it."

"I'm not the one who put me here," she reminded him, easing her hand from his hair to let it curve against his cheek.

"Would you rather I not be so attracted to you, love? I cannot help myself." He smiled and his, "Have you seen yourself lately?" came out in his imitation of her.

"I hate when you do that. I don't sound like that."

"You most certainly do, love, and I think it adorable." He brushed a kiss over the tip of her nose and reluctantly eased off her. "And you're right. We do need to get ready, much as I hate to leave your warm cocoon."

"My warm cocoon?" She shook her head as she drew the robe tight and rose. "That sounds like something out of a cheesy romance novel."

He smiled, also rising from the bed. Unlike her, he never troubled with a robe. Unlike her, he had no reason to want to hide himself. Unlike her, he was absolutely perfect.

And she couldn't take her eyes off him. He was truly magnificent.

"You're staring." Laughter wove through his words.

"I can't help it."

"Now you know how I feel." With that, he padded into the bathroom and turned on the water. When he came back out, he said, "Care to join me, love?"

"I would, but we're running late enough as it is." She crossed the room to the dressing area, where she'd laid out the dress she'd planned to wear. It was dark green silk, with long sleeves and a plunging draped neckline. It was also one Loki had never seen before, and she couldn't wait to see his reaction to her in it.