Chapter Thirty-Seven

McKenna gave Loki's hand a squeeze as they strolled through the hallway toward their chambers. "Are you nervous?"

"About tomorrow?" He waited for her to nod, and then shook his head. "No. Why should I be?" He glanced over at her. "Are you?"

"A little." At his puzzled look, she added, "Not about marrying you, but all those people staring at me. Do you know how long that damn runner is? Or how many people are in this realm?"

He brought her hand up to his lips. "You will be fine, love."

"It's going to take me the entire afternoon to reach you."

"No, it won't." He stopped, turning to face her, and slid both arms about her waist. "You are going to be fine. You'll be stunningly beautiful and every soul in that room will be wishing they were me. And I will be struck dumb at the sight of you, and in awe that I am the man you've chosen above all others."

"That silver tongue is a gift," she murmured, her hands resting on his upper arms. She could feel the solid bands of muscle, even through the leather wrapped about his arms.

He smiled and dipped in to kiss her gently. "Come along, love. I think tonight is the night I should like to try to give you a daughter."

"Isn't it bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding?"

They both turned at the sound of Thor's voice behind them. Loki stared at his brother. "What was that?"

"Isn't that what Midgardians believe?" he asked, directing his question at McKenna.

"Well, yeah, I guess. I don't know that anyone really believes it, but it is kind of a tradition."

"So I'm banished from my own chambers this night?" Loki looked from her to Thor and back. She swallowed hard at the irritation in his blue eyes. Not that she faulted him. The idea of just falling into bed with him was a very tempting one. She really didn't like the idea of sleeping alone any more than he seemed to.

"You wouldn't want to begin married life with misfortune, would you?" Thor asked with a grin. "And besides, you should be with men tonight, since you will be giving yourself to a woman come morning."

Some of the irritation faded. "What did you have in mind?"

McKenna bit back a smile as Thor said, "You will join us in celebrating your final night of freedom. Or as Fandral would say, your final night of being able to sleep with a different woman, if you so chose."

Loki grinned. "I haven't slept with a different woman for the last year. Somehow, this isn't quite the sacrifice he seems to think it is."

"Go." McKenna slid her hand into his and squeezed his upper arm with her free hand. "Enjoy your last evening as a bachelor. Tomorrow, I crack the whip over you."

He leaned in to kiss her. "I suppose I have no choice, do I?"

"Of course you have no choice!" Thor boomed, grabbing his free arm and to tug him out of McKenna's grasp. "A good evening, Miss Carlin. I will see to it he keep his hands to himself and off any serving maidens and that he will not be too far into his cups so as to miss the ceremony tomorrow."

"Thank you. I think." She stepped back. "Where are you taking him, Thor?"

"You needn't worry." Thor called this over his shoulder as he pulled Loki down the corridor behind him. "All you need know is he will stay out of trouble. For the most part."

Both men's laughter echoed all along the hallway even as they rounded the corner and disappeared, leaving her to lean against the wall with mixed feelings. She had no idea what an Asgardian bachelor party entailed, and she wasn't exactly sure she wanted to know, either.