Chapter Twenty-Seven

McKenna looked up from the magazine open on her leg as Loki shifted in his chair and recrossed his legs for the tenth time. "Why are you so fidgety? You'd think this was your appointment."

"Because. You said this one will tell us whether the child is a boy or girl."

"Only if you want to know. If you don't want to know, we don't have to find out."

He shifted again, this time uncrossing his legs to sit with them wide apart. "I don't know if I want to know. That's part of the problem."

She flipped the magazine closed and looked over at him. "Will you be disappointed if the baby is a girl?"

"Not at all." He reached out to curl his hand about hers. "I would love a daughter as much as I would a son." He squeezed her hand. "What about you? Would you want a girl or boy?"

"I haven't really thought about it." She smiled as the baby fluttered, which always made her feel as if she couldn't quite catch her breath. "I think I'd be happy no matter what. All I care about is a healthy baby. And one who isn't born a giant because I cannot even begin to imagine what pushing a giant out would be like."

"I'm not exactly a giant, love. Frost Giants are almost twenty feet tall."

"So you're a runt?"

"Something like that."

"Thank God."

He smiled, bringing her hand to his lips, which earned them several smiles from the other women in the waiting room as well as some of the staff. "Now, how does this work here? In Asgard, I wouldn't be allowed within a hundred feet of you until it was all over."

"Here, Daddy is allowed to stay with me as long as I want you there."

A look of discomfort flitted across his handsome face. "And do you want me there?"

"Honestly? Yes. Of course. Don't worry. You won't have to watch. You can sit up by my head."

He rubbed his forehead with his free hand, murmuring, "I think I'm going to prefer making the baby to watching it be born," loudly enough to cause a few chuckles.

"You say that now, but you might find you're wrong."

"We'll see."

"Loki," she shifted to face him, "if you don't want to be there, it's okay. Shannon would probably stay with me. You and Tony can pace the hallway together or smoke cigars or whatever it is you'd do."

He held her gaze for a long moment, and then squeezed her hand again. "I wouldn't be so selfish as to leave you when you needed me the most. Of course I'll be there."

"Good. Because I'd kick you in the nuts if you weren't."

"In the what?"

"Your boys. The twins. You know."

"Yes, I think I do. And I will definitely be there with you."

She smiled as the door opened and a nurse said, "McKenna Carlin?"

She and Loki rose and followed the nurse down the hallway, where the nurse stopped by a scale. Glancing up at Loki, McKenna kicked off her shoes and stepped onto the scale, holding her breath as the nurse said, "Six more pounds. Good."

"Six pounds? Really? At this rate, I'm going to be wearing a circus tent by the time I'm in my eighth month," McKenna shot a look at Loki. "You and your giant genes."

He smiled all innocently. "It isn't my fault you couldn't resist them."

The nurse chuckled. "Right this way. Dr. McManus will be in in just a few minutes."