Explaining Birch (dragon age: 2 Human age: 6)

Birch was odd, even by Rainwing standards... okay, especially by Rainwing standards. While most Rainwing scales echoed mood in a relatively gradual shift of colours, his scales were constantly changing. Flickering through colours and shapes with no apparent pattern. Laughbringer got a headache trying to look at him.

Despite his odd scales, he was really good at hide-and-seek. He would find a place to hide, then stay really still for a long time. If Laughbringer had taken off her bracelet it would have been easier, but she couldn't entirely grasp the concept of cheating yet. Normally, what gave Birch away was a random giggle and a burst of colour.

It started to get dark soon and Birch's scales changed to darker colours except for stripes along his wings, tail, nose, and sides that flashed oranges and reds. It got too dark to play, so they lay in the grass together and watched the moons. After a while, Birch broke the silence.

"I like watchin' da moons. I would want to watch da moons forever"

Moon watching Laughbringer thought with a giggle, Just like mom...

"MOM!" she yelled suddenly. Birch lit up white for a moment. "I'm sorry Birch, I have to go home. I'll see you soon." Then she flew off quickly in the direction of home.

*****

Laughbringer burst through the door of her hut. Her organized and intelligent mind took quick stock of everything, she worked through it in a list.

- chairs not pushed in = panic

- claw marks on the table = worry

- windows open = searching

- Skyfire on the table = communication 

Communication! Laughbringer quickly took off her Skyfire and brain yelled as loud as possible, MOM, I'M HOME. As soon as she did, there was a crash and black and yellowey wings were suddenly smothering her. Her were talking and thinking really fast. Laughbringer yelped and reached for Skyfire.

"Slow down," she said, massaging her temples.

"Are you okay?" Her parents said in unison. This is why they're married, she thought

"I'se fine. Are you mad?"

They exchanged a glance. "No," Qibli said, "Your mother and I have gone missing quite a few times. If you don't mind my asking, where were you?" Qibli never spoke to his daughter like she was a child. He knew she was smart enough to have a real conversation.

Laughbringer thought to herself about her answer. Then, she grinned. "I made a friend," she boasted, "all by myself."

Hey, I'm not dead and I actually started planning. I feel good.