Chapter Two

I watched as the seconds hand of the clock on the wall spun agonizingly slow and fought the urge to yawn. The guy sitting across from me, with short brown hair and green eyes, spoke animatedly, his hands waving about. Honestly, I wasn't even listening to him. I had been forced to come on this blind date in the first place by the captain of the matching-making club from Ava's college, a girl named Miranda, when I had stopped by to give Ava her homework she had forgotten in my room the night before. Apparently, Miranda needed to get at least fifty people to go on blind dates every month so that her club wouldn't be shut down. She was desperate, and no matter how much I said no (I practically spit venom at her), she would not give up. So, here I am, on this blind date I didn't even want to be at in the first place.

As soon as the clock struck two p.m., I stood up from my seat across from the guy, who was in the middle of explaining his science project to me. "Well, Kevin, it was nice meeting you. Sorry, but I'm not interested in dating. See you."

He frowned. "My name is Calvin."

I shrugged as I slung my bag on my shoulder. "Close enough."

I exited the cafeteria of the school, where all the blind dates take place for Miranda's club, and texted her. 'Don't you ever make me do this again,' I sent to her, pressing the 'send' button quite harshly before deleting her number from my phone.

"You look like you had fun," Ava said from her spot on the bench just outside of the cafeteria, trying not to laugh. Ava had been my best friend since middle school, when we found out that we both hated the same girl during sixth grade. Yay to making friendship over mutual dislike!

I rolled my eyes. "It's your fault I even had to go in the first place. If you didn't forget your stupid history essay in my room last night, I wouldn't have had to come here, and Miranda would've never been able to force me into it."

She laughed. "Yeah, yeah. Now, let's go."

We made our way to a pizza place not too far from her campus, where we usually went to get lunch. This time of day it wasn't usually too packed, so after placing our order at the counter, we sat down at a table a few feet away. "So, how was the blind date, really?" she asked me, sipping her soda.

"Boring."

She laughed. "Well, that's being really honest."

"It's true," I said. "Besides, I'm not really looking for a relationship right now, anyway. Especially after Jace."

Jace is my ex-boyfriend, whom I had broken up with a few weeks ago after I caught him cheating on me with his ex-girlfriend. We had only dated for two months so I wasn't too hurt about it, mostly just pissed that I wasted my time with an asshole like that. After I found out, he kept texting me non-stop, asking to meet up so he can talk to me and 'try to explain what happened.' I ended up blocking and deleting his number from my phone.

Ava made a face at the mention of Jace's name. "Ugh, seriously," she said. "What a scumbag."

"Who's a scumbag?" A soft, warm voice asked us as our pizza got set down in front of us. The voice belonged to a good-looking tall guy with brown hair and tan skin, who smiled down at us.

"Well, for one, it's not you, Luka," Ava said to him, smiling brightly as she gazed dreamily at him. He grinned down at her before leaning down, pecking her on the lips quickly.

"Thanks," he said. "So, who's the scumbag you two were talking about?"

"Jace," Ava told him, her look of disgust returning to her face.

He groaned. "Gross, why are you two talking about him?" Turning to me, his eyes got serious. "Nova, is that guy bothering you again? Should I talk to him?"