Chapter Fifteen

Snowflakes fell from the sky gently, covering the ground in a cold, white blanket. Since the weather was now getting colder, Ava thought it would be a fun idea if we all went ice skating. We ended up going to the local ice skating rink in our town. The rink was set up in the biggest park we had in the city and there was a small shack that sold hot chocolate.

I pulled my jacket tighter on my body, shivering. "It's so fucking cold!" I exclaimed, my breath becoming visible smoke in the cold air.

Everett stood beside me, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "No one forced you to come out."

"You're so annoying," I grumbled. "I like ice skating, so that's why I came. Do you have a problem with that?"

"Nope," he said, popping the last syllable with his mouth before turning to me. He looked at me up and down. "You sure you're going to be okay?"

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know if you've forgotten, but you're pretty clumsy."

I glared at him. "I'll be fine!" I said. "...Maybe."

Luka walked over to us with Ava trailing behind him. He resembled a child as he wore fluffy blue ear muffs and a giant puffy jacket. "Hey, you two!" he said. "You guys ready to go on the ice?"

I nodded. "Let's go!" I cheered. "I'm so excited! I haven't skated in forever."

Everett snickered. "You're going to fall."

"No, I will not!" I growled.

We made our way to the rink. Ava and Luka stepped on first, taking off effortlessly while holding hands. I watched, impressed, before gingerly stepping onto the cold rink myself. As I put both feet on the ice, I could feel myself lose balance and quickly grabbed onto the railing that lined the rink. "Whoa, whoa, whoa!" I said. "That was close." Everett stepped on and skated easily in front of me. I furrowed my brows. "What the hell? How are you so good at this?"

"'Cause I'm not clumsy, unlike a certain someone," he said, smirking. I stared at him before he sighed, holding out his hand. "Come on. You can hold onto me."

"Gross, no," I said, shaking my head. "I'll be fine. Anyway, why are you bothering me right now? Isn't Savannah supposed to get here soon?"

He nodded. "Yeah, and until she gets here, I thought bothering you would be fun while I wait." I glared at him as a mischievous smile formed on his face.

"You know what?" I growled, latching onto his arm roughly, causing him to stumble on the ice slightly before regaining his balance. "I will hold onto you. Plus, knowing me, I'll probably fall a lot. Which means, you fall, too." I shot him an evil smile.

He just rolled his eyes. "Let's go."

Pushing us along the ice at a turtle's pace, I held onto his arm with both hands, moving my feet along slowly. We silently glided around the rink, Luka and Ava passing by us, waving at us with their free hands before speeding off. "Those two are impressive," I muttered, watching them skate together while still holding hands.

Everett chuckled softly. "Yeah, they are," he said. "I'm glad Ava has someone like Luka. He's a great guy. Unlike what's his name? Your ex."

I sighed heavily. "I knew at some point you were going to bring him up. His name is Jace." I shot him a look. "He may have been shitty with me, but he changed for the better."

"He still cheated on you," Everett said. "I don't care what he's like now."

I just grumbled as we skated along at the same slow pace, falling silent again. Looking around us, I noticed just how many people were passing us by. "You know, I think we can go a little faster," I said.