Chapter Seventeen

It's New Years Eve, and I'm currently at Everett and Luka's place, lying on the couch whilst eating popcorn with the bowl propped on my stomach.

"Nova, can you not do that?" Everett said, exasperated. "You might choke."

"Cool," I said, shooting him a thumbs up. "Going out hours before the start of the new decade seems like a good way to go."

Ava gasped as she exited Luka's room, shutting the door behind her. "Nova, stop!" she said. "I can't lose my best friend before the new year."

I sighed, sitting up and placed the bowl onto the coffee table. "Happy?" I said and she nodded, a smile on her face. "Anyway, are we doing anything tonight?"

"Yup!" Ava exclaimed excitedly. "That dude Kyle is doing another big party at his place again. Apparently Savannah is cousins with Kyle and she invited us to go."

I raised an eyebrow. "Really?" I asked. "I figured she wouldn't talk to us anymore after she stopped seeing, or rather, sleeping with him." I shot a pointed look at Everett, who just ignored me as he plopped down on the other side of the couch.

Ava laughed. "She's not the type to care about things like that!" she said. "So, we're going tonight."

"Great," I muttered. "Well, whatever. I don't mind. Let's just hope that those two can be just friends when we get there." Looking over at Everett, I crossed my arms.

"Nova," Ava said, giving me the same look a parent would give their child who was acting out of line, her hands positioned on her hips.

"It's fine, Ava," Everett said, looking over at me lazily. "She's only upset because she still feels like an idiot for not realizing that was the reason I was even seeing Savannah in the first place."

I squinted my eyes at him, growling. "You-!"

"Now, now, calm down, children!" Luka said, appearing in the living room, seemingly out of nowhere. He pushed back his brown hair and smiled. "The four of us are going to have fun tonight! So, behave." He glared at both Everett and I.

Ava nodded in agreement. "We are starting the year with four of us now, since Everett wasn't with us before!" she said. "It's going to be fun, I promise."

I shrugged. "I mean, I can't turn down a party with free food and alcohol. Let the party begin!" I shot up from the couch, cheering as I threw my arms up in the air.

"Oh, no, you don't," Everett said, standing up on his feet as well. "I am not going to take care of you again. I would like to have my bed to myself this time, thanks."

I rolled my eyes. "Like I want to sleep in your bed again. I'll make sure not to drink too much!"

As Luka and Everett made their way to the door, I grabbed my leather jacket and slipped it on. Ava came up to me. "So," she said. "You and Everett are getting along well these days."

I looked at her, confused. "What are you talking about?" I asked. "We're bickering."

She rolled her eyes. "Oh, come on!" Her eyes narrowed as she smiled devilishly. "There's a different vibe between you two lately. Luka and I have noticed."

I pretended to gag. "Ew, no there isn't. Now, stop talking crazy and let's get going."

She clicked her tongue, shrugging. "You're going to stop being in denial one day. Just you see!" Her eyes widened as she thrust a finger at me.

Luka poked his head in the living room. "You ladies ready?"

Ava smiled, looping her arm with mine. "Let's go, baby!"