Chapter Eleven

Three years ago....

"So, Luka invited me to go to the movies with him and then dinner after, but he didn't specify whether or not it was a date," Ava was telling me as we walked down the street after getting ice cream cones from the local ice cream shop. "Is it a date or am I just getting my hopes up right now?"

I licked my ice cream, which was mint chocolate chip. "I think it's a date," I said. "I mean, it's obvious he likes you."

She groaned in frustration. "I wish I knew if it was or not! I wonder if I should dress casually or get dressed up."

"Wear something cute but also shows that you wouldn't mind going to his place after, if you know what I mean," I told her, wiggling my brows.

Blushing, she pushed my shoulder. "Nova, I'm serious here!"

"Ava, you have nothing to worry about! Luka likes you," I said. I knew this because one, it was obvious, and two, he told me. The only thing that stopped them from getting together yet is because they're both too shy to admit their feelings to each other.

Which is why I, being the good friend I am, bought two movie tickets for The Conjuring 2 and practically shoved them into Luka's hands to use to take Ava out.

"But why this movie?" He had asked me, staring down at them.

I sighed. "Think about it! She'll be so scared that she'll forget how nervous she is around you and will hold onto you during the whole thing."

His eyes grew wide. "You're so smart! Thanks, Nova. I'll invite her."

Ava and I parted ways down the street and I walked home, finishing my ice cream along the way. I walked into the house and shut the door behind me, humming lightly.

Glancing into the living room, I noticed Katherine sitting on the couch, staring off into space. I walked into the room slowly, watching her. "Katherine?" I asked slowly.

She jumped slightly at the sound of my voice. "N-Nova? When did you get back?"

"Just now," I told her. "Are you okay?"

She stood up, brushing off her pants. "I'm just tired, so I'm going to go to sleep now."

I watched her walk up the stairs, furrowing my brows. That was weird.

                                    ----------------------------------------

Present day....

I about ran to the living room of Luka and Everett's apartment, huffing like I had just run a mile without stopping. That was strange. I can't believe I actually checked out Everett! Who told him to walk around with no shirt on? And why, oh why, did I not mind being so close to him like that?

Looking down at my hand, I saw they were shaking slightly from nervousness.

"Nova?

I snapped my head around to see Ava looking at me, a worried expression on her face. "Are you okay?" she asked.

I nodded my head. "Yeah, yeah, I'm good! I am all good."

She stared at me, not seeming to believe me but just shrugged off my weird behavior and sat down on the couch, watching the random movie that was playing on the tv.

Sitting down on the other side of the L-shaped couch, I exhaled a breath I didn't know I had been holding. I should never let myself get that close to Everett again. Also, Savannah must think there is something going on between us. I mean, I don't blame her, he was shirtless and standing right in front of me.

"Hey," Savannah said as she entered the living room, her voice causing me to jump in my seat.

"What's up?" Ava asked her. "Are you and Everett going out somewhere tonight?"

"Nope, we've decided to just stay in tonight with you guys and watch some movies," Savannah told her. She sat down on the same side of the couch as me, leaving a bit of room between us, which Everett, who had been walking behind her, plopped down.

I tried to ignore how good he smelled, but what I couldn't ignore is how close our legs were.

Clearing my throat, I discreetly scooted myself farther away from him, keeping my eyes on the television the whole time.

He glanced at me, raising an eyebrow. "What's wrong?" he asked.

I looked at him. "What do you mean?"

"You just moved away for no reason."

"There was a reason!"

"And what was it?"

I wracked my brain for a response, and he watched me, waiting for an answer. "You smell!" I blurted.

His eyes narrowed. "What?" he said. "I just showered."

Savannah leaned into him, sniffing him before shrugging her shoulders. "You smell good. I don't know what you're talking about, Nova," she said to me.

I puffed my cheeks, crossing my arms. "Well, maybe you two are used to it that you can't smell it anymore."

Everett just shook his head and leaned back into the couch, making himself comfortable.

For the rest of the night, I tried not to look at how Savannah was cuddled up on Everett, her head laying on his chest and her knees tucked up on the couch, his arm thrown lazily around her shoulders.

This should not be bothering me, but it is. And I didn't understand why.

                                   ------------------------------

The weather is finally starting to get colder, and I was enjoying every minute of it. Autumn and winter are my favorite seasons. There's just something about the way the leaves change color and how the air gets crisper that just makes me smile. Once snow falls, I'll be even more ecstatic since houses outside all around will be decorated with lights and ornaments. The holiday season just makes me feel so warm inside.

Right now, I stood inside a Barnes and Noble, trying to find a good book to read. One of my favorite things to do was read while drinking hot chocolate.

I scanned the shelves of books as I walked when I bumped into someone. "Oh, I'm sorry!" I exclaimed. A few people in the store shot me dirty glances for how loud I was, but I just glared at them and turned to the person who I had just bumped, when my eyes widened.

"It's fine," Levi told me, smiling. "I didn't expect to see you here."

"Me either," I said. "I didn't realize you and I had a day off at the same time. Will the restaurant be okay?"

He nodded. "They're fine, I trust them. If anything does happen though, I can rush over." He smiled. "Since we've run into each other, would you like to grab lunch with me? My treat."

"Sure!"

We went to a nearby Panera bread and once we got our food, we sat down in a booth near a window. "So, how is everything?" Levi asked me. "Is Katherine freaking out about the wedding?"

I nodded. "Yup. She's stressing out about where to go. I think she's leaning towards Bali."

"Wow, beautiful place," he said. "I hope she goes for that one."

"It would be nice to go to a warm place while we're in the middle of winter here," I said.

After we finished out food, we walked out to our cars. I was just about to get into mine when Levi jogged over to me. "Nova, wait," he called.

I tilted my head. "What's up?"

Stopping in front of me, I watched as he ran a hand through his chocolate brown hair. "Would you like to go on a date with me?"

My eyes widened as my keys slipped out of my hand, onto the ground.