Chapter Eight

Since the weather was finally starting to get sunny, Luka decided we should all take a trip to the beach. All of us being: him, Ava, Everett, and me. Oh, and Savannah, who Everett invited.

The sun beamed down on us as we walked across the beach, the hot sand burning the bottoms of my feet. I groaned. "I hate the beach," I complained.

"What?! I love it!" Savannah exclaimed. "The sun feels so nice! This New England weather is always changing up on us, so it's nice to have some sun for once."

I grumbled. "What's so nice about swimming in the ocean, anyway? I hate the feeling of the seaweed brushing my legs when I'm in the water. Plus, the shells! It fucking hurts when you step on one."

Everett stared at me. "You complain about the same thing every time we come to the beach ever since we were kids. When are you going to get over it?"

"Never!"

Savannah looked back and forth from him and I. "Wait, how long have you two known each other?" she asked.

"We grew up together," Everett told her. "Our moms are best friends and our families live right next door to each other."

"Oh, really? I didn't know that."

"Hey!" Luka called to us. "Over here seems like a good place to set up."

After setting up our area with towels on the ground for us to sit on and our coolers with drinks and food, we ended up spending time playing tossing a volleyball around before going into the water.

Ava and Luka went off into the water together, Ava laying on one of those inflatable donuts she had brought along with her, Luka pushing her. Savannah pulled Everett along into the water, wrapping her arms around his torso.

Pretty much, that meant I was alone, as I was the only single one in this friend group. Which you know what? That's fine with me. I don't need a man! I can deal with being the fifth wheel. In fact, it's fun. I can just float here in the water like a piece of seaweed, going wherever the flow of the ocean took me.

I had my eyes closed when I noticed the sun was being blocked from me, causing me to open my eyes. Everett stood above me, looking down at me. "What are you doing?" he asked me.

"Floating here. What's it to ya?"

Amused, the corner of his mouth lifted in a slight smile. "Savannah thinks you should come over and join us in the water over there."

I blinked up at him before setting myself upright in the water, my feet barely touching the ocean floor. "It's fine, I don't want to interrupt your date."

"Nova, we all came here together. It's not a date."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever! I don't need to join you two. Besides, I need to go pee, so I'm going to go find the restroom."

He sighed. "Whatever, do what you want. Just hurry back, we're about to go sit down and eat."

"Yeah, yeah."

Getting out of the water, I made my way to the restrooms set up a little farther away from the ocean. You know what? Forget what I said earlier. It fucking sucks being the fifth wheel. Maybe I won't come out to another outing like this next time.

Once I was finished, I walked out of the restrooms when a guy with shaggy blond hair stood in my way. "Hey, girl!" He grinned. "Who are you here with? Wanna hang out with me and a couple of my friends?"

I stared at him. "No," I said. "Now bye." As I stepped forward to walk past him, he grabbed my arm, stopping me. I glared at him. "Let me go."

"You're pretty feisty. I like it!" He exclaimed. "Come on, I'll bring you over to my friends." He pulled my arm, trying to get me to follow him. I internally groaned. This would be happening to me right now.

Just as I was about to kick him where it hurts, an arm appeared out of nowhere, ripping his hand off my arm. I looked up to see a tall guy with tanned skin and slightly curly brown hair was standing next to me. "Go away before I call the cops on you for harassing a girl."

The blond guy scowled, glaring at me. "Stupid bitch, if you were here with someone you should've said something!" He spat at me before turning and walking off.

I rolled my eyes before turning to the tall guy. "Thanks for that, though you didn't have to."

He looked down at me, his hazel eyes gleaming in the sun. "No problem," he said. "I hate seeing guys like that, so I just acted without thinking."

"Nova!" A voice called. I turned my head to see Ava jogging up to me. "You were taking a little long so I came to see if you were okay." She glanced at the guy. "Who are you?"

"I'm fine, this guy here was just helping me out with some creep," I told her.

The guy's eyebrows furrowed. "Wait, your name is Nova?" he asked me. I nodded. "You wouldn't happen to be Katherine Wang's sister, would you?"

"Actually, I am," I told him. "How do you know her?"

"I'm best friends with her fiance, Peter," he said. "My name is Levi, by the way. I didn't think we'd be meeting like this. Katherine talks about you from time to time."

Ava smiled slightly, nodding her head. "Small world." She glanced at me. "The others are waiting for us. We should go."

I nodded. "Well, it was nice meeting you, Levi. I guess I'll be seeing you at the wedding?"

He nodded, smiling. "See you later," he said before jogging off.

I watched him before turning around to head back to the others, only to find Ava smirking at me. I raised an eyebrow. "What?" I asked, weirded out by her behavior.

"He was really cute," she said to me as we walked back.

"Okay, and?"

She laughed. "Come on, you were totally checking him out!"

I rolled my eyes. "Look, you can't tell me you weren't, either."

"He did have a really nice body," she commented thoughtfully before looking at me. "Think he's single?"

I raised my eyebrows at her. "What, you gonna cheat on Luka?" I joked and she rolled her eyes.

"No!" she exclaimed. "I'm just saying, if he isn't seeing anybody, maybe you should try talking to him."

"Why?"

"Why not?" she asked. "He seemed nice, plus he's really cute."

I shrugged. "Eh, I doubt I'll be seeing him again any time soon."

                  ---------------------------------------

Author's Note: What do you guys think so far?? I'm really excited to write more and show what I've got in store for this story :D As always, please leave a comment or vote if you liked!!