Chapter Ten

It's been about a month since I've started my new job at Levi's place. So far, I haven't dropped anything else, which was thanks to the trusty cart I've been using. Everyone else is really nice and helps me when I need it.

Today, I'm here for my regular shift and nothing was out of the ordinary until just a few seconds ago. The people I haven't seen in months have walked through the door: Jace, Victoria, and their four-month old baby. To make things even more awkward, they were seated in my section.

"Hey," I greeted them nonchalantly. "What can I get for you guys?"

Jace looked a little different, his dirty-blond hair cut a little shorter than the last time I saw him. Victoria still was beautiful with her long, wavy dark brown hair and blue-gray eyes. The only thing that was different was the baby, a little girl with brown wavy hair like her mother, that sat in the high chair, gurgling and trying to grab stuff off the table.

Once their order was taken and ready, I rolled the plates out to their table. Jace was gone, leaving me alone with Victoria and the baby. Not making eye contact, I just placed the plates onto the table silently.

"Nova," Victoria spoke suddenly. "Can I talk to you for a second?"

I looked at her. "Sure."

She looked at me, fidgeting in her seat. "I just wanted to apologize," she said. I raised an eyebrow, not expecting that. "When I think back to that day you came over to Jace's house, I can't help but cringe at the way I acted." Looking over to her baby, she ran her hand over her hair lovingly. "Having a child just made me realize how ridiculous I was being. So, I'm sorry for being a bitch, and also for sleeping with Jace while you two were together."

Not knowing how to react to this, I just nodded my head slowly and gave a small smile. "Thanks for apologizing, you didn't have to, really. It was a long time ago." I glanced at the baby. "She's really cute."

"Thank you." Victoria smiled brightly. "Both of us really adore her. Jace is an amazing father. I was worried about that, honestly, but he's surprised me."

As she said that, Jace came back over from the restrooms and sat in his seat across from her. He glanced at me. "What are you two talking about?" he asked Victoria.

"Nothing," she said.

I nodded my head. "Well, if there's anything else you guys need, don't hesitate to call me over. Enjoy your food."

Rolling my cart into the kitchen, I sighed as the door swung shut behind me. That was kind of weird, but also sort of relieving at the same time. To be honest, I haven't really thought about those two for months, but seeing them today made me somewhat happy that they seemed to be doing alright.

Later, after they paid, I watched as Victoria carried their daughter and walked out of the restaurant. Jace came up to me. "Nova, I didn't know you worked here," he told me. "I'm sorry, that must've been weird for you."

I shook my head. "It's fine, you don't need to apologize." I smiled. "You guys seem to be doing well."

He laughed. "Yeah, everything actually is going great, surprisingly. She's a great mother." Putting his hands into his pockets, he smiled at me. "Anyway, I've got to go. See you later, Nova."

I waved at him as he walked out of the building when Levi walked over. "Someone you know?" he asked me.

I looked at him. "That was my ex, the one I told you that cheated on me." I sighed. "I didn't say it before, but he got her pregnant. That was their baby."

"Wow," he said, shocked. "Sorry, Nova, I didn't mean to make you talk about it if you didn't want to."

"I'm fine, Levi," I told him and smiled. "I'm actually pretty happy for them, which I didn't expect myself to be."